Mono for surf?

Rate this topic

FISH BUCKET

3 hours ago, FISH BUCKET said:

5/6oz and bait on sandy beaches.......not going to use leader because i will be throwing a level wind reel and the shocker knot will not work with level wind

Do not use a level wind.  That will not work when casting from the surf, will only result in blow ups and reduced distance.  Get yourself a Fathom or a Saltist.

Level winds did cause loss of distance in the past but i don’t think so now.

i have been using lo-profile reels(revo’s/lexa’s) for a while with braid and seem to be throwing as far as my older non level wind round reels.

i like the convenience and high rate of retrieve of lo-profiles.

run straight braid so there is no knot issue.

would like to avoid knot on mono if possible

2 hours ago, FISH BUCKET said:

Level winds did cause loss of distance in the past but i don’t think so now.

i have been using lo-profile reels(revo’s/lexa’s) for a while with braid and seem to be throwing as far as my older non level wind round reels.

i like the convenience and high rate of retrieve of lo-profiles.

run straight braid so there is no knot issue.

would like to avoid knot on mono if possible

The second you get anything with teeth...you are toast.  Trust your knots and practice them.

Landed with a 20lb mono to 50lb shock to 400lb bite leader on a Saltiga Surf 30/CTS 1305.   Zero issues....

EB28890A-3457-4902-9986-C9735BA57497.jpeg

E22B58ED-E3D8-4CD9-BA49-3056306AA1AD.jpeg

0B045103-03DE-4EB7-9FA6-EBB166D5BD64.jpeg

Edited by animalbarrie

9 hours ago, FISH BUCKET said:

What is reason for skipping 17?

Its the between line diameter. 

On a smaller reel like a 4k, abu 6500, daiwa 20.  Capacity suffers greatly cause its about 0.40mm.   12 or 14 is .31 .35mm.   The reels can hold.about 270-330 yards.

But trit 17 only fits about 230-260.

With trit 20 and a 6000/8000, abu 7000, daiwa 30,  trit 20 is about .45mm.   Those reels can load at least 270 yard. And near 400-500 or trit 12,14.

So either go thin line for capacity and spool level for better retrieve.  Or thicker line for sheer cranking power.  You can get both trit 17 as the in between.

Edited by ooeric

i use 2/3 rule for trading. join date, posts, or vouch. whoever has less goes first.

(*member formerly known as 'ooeric')

11 hours ago, FISH BUCKET said:

That is what is so cool about the surf.........you never know what you’ll get.......

have a lexa 400 that i am going to remove level wind and run 17lb with 40 or 50lb shocker.

seems like a shocker is way to go.

You could remove it but you will have to level wind with your thumb and the design of that reel is going to make that tough.  Get yourself a reel that is made for surf casting.  Don’t mess up that nice reel. 

Edited by TimS
Please don't post commercial links here

13 hours ago, FISH BUCKET said:

thing is i have 1/4lb spool of 17 ...

not sharking.... bass/drum

17# is plenty with a shock leader.

I run 16# Berkley pro spec on a 15 fathom and a slosh 20 both with 50# shock leaders.

My daughter is running 17# cajan red on a 200 surfmaster I custom built for her.

Getting ready to build a squidder 140 to replace the diawa reel.

Hey fish bucket

I have been using a lexa off and on for quite some time. since I had an accident with a spinning reel I will be using one all the time. a well  tied Allbright or alberto goes thru the level wind no problem. I use14 lb tritanium and 40lb mono on one reel and 20lb suffix 832 with a 40lb mono shock. tie the shock leader on with an fg knot. I've been fishing sandy beaches around here for 15 years. Also nothing wrong with using a braid 50 or 80Lb shock leader on your tritanium if you absolutely have to have a smaller knot. A few weeks ago I acquired a daiwa tatula  300 with a t wing level wind. I highly recommend it. finally I have been there done that with removing the level wind,take my advice, it is a waste of time. There was no difference in castibiliy or distance with the lexa 300

42 mins ago, FISH BUCKET said:

Thanks for some great feedback.......

not going to remove lw.....i am going to try 17lb with a 40lb braid shocker.

if that works i’m set.........if not i will get a dedicated round reel for the mono

You don't use braid for a shock leader.  The point of a shock leader is to manage the "shock" of the weight through the cast.  Run mono for a shock leader...

That braid is going to snap, get shredded by fish with teeth, and will get tangled up with your actual rig.