Mono for surf?

Rate this topic

FISH BUCKET

I wanted so bad to use 17lb tritanium, but was having issues with knot at the leader. 

I cast for Spanish mackeral from a pier with small lures and fling the fish over the rail. After maybe 2 fish the knot would give. With 20lb, I could bail fish all day.

Now the spools just sit. 

May work for you fishing from the beach though less stressful on the line from flipping fish.

All of my bait and wait reels have 20lb or 25lb Sufix. I won’t go any lower, but again I fish from a pier where wrapping a piling is normal and I don’t want to lose the fish because of abrasion. No business fishing braid if you have to fish in close proximity of others. When my line gets tangled with braid, I reel up my rig and cut my leader and re-tie rather than wait for half an hour while the guy tries to untangle his braid. 

Edited by quan808

That’s what I’ve been using since early summer. I haven’t put anything worth mentioning on my heaver setup, but I did power crank a massive cownose ray with 17lb tritanium and I was honestly just trying to break the line. Stuff is impressive.

If you can dream it, I can meme it.

14 trit is good enough for most reels.

I skip 17 and use 20 if its a boulder field, if i know ill be reeling through clam shell beds, or extremely payloads like 16+whole bunker at night.

Use BBG 50 clear or solar green for leader. Berkeley Big game tends to stretch and is softer. Trit tends to be slippery so itll need a good 6~8 turn Albright to hold correctly

So with stretchy leader and bouncy line.  14 trit easily feels like a 25lb line.

The 20 will feel like a 40.

i use 2/3 rule for trading. join date, posts, or vouch. whoever has less goes first.

(*member formerly known as 'ooeric')

10 hours ago, FISH BUCKET said:

Was considering putting 17lb sufix titanium on a 12’ conventional for surf duty......any opinions on doing that?

haven’t used mono in quite a few years.......

What is your application? You say surf duty, you talking about bait rod with heavy sinkers, or plugging?

For the so called "8 and bait" 17 lb Tritanium is and has been my go to for a very long while. I use it with a 50 lb shock leader on all my Drum rods, including my heavers. It's proven for large Red Drum and Rock fish down our way (MD & VA barrier islands). Our surf is primary sandy, with Oyster and other shells in the wash. If your up in the NE bolder fields, not sure what to tell you.

Edited by JAL

Throwing 4/5 ounces on a 12 foot rod may require a top shot of 50 lb mono leader or a top shot of the mainline threaded thru hollow core braid which will eliminate any knots going thru level wind....apply a minute amount of brown gorilla glue and it's not slipping ... It does take time to thread with  a simple tapestry needle from the sewing store....very strong not many abrasion issues....as always use caution when casting

Hi Fish Bucket - I fish similar sandy beaches in NY and NJ - chunking with mainly 4-6 + oz sinkers.

On my chunking "big setup" - 12' Ocean Master and a Penn Fathom 12 (no level wind) - I use 15lb Pink Ande or 17lb  - with a 50-60lb shock leader. Without a shock leader on a 12' rod it's pretty easy to snap a line casting.

On my smaller chunking setup - light casting not too far from shore, 4 oz sinkers, reel is an Abu 7000C3 level wind  - I use 15lb mono and no leader. 

(*member previously known as 'petergulickjr')

Some good advice here........

rod is pretty parabolic so i was hoping it would throw 5/6 and smaller bait without shocker...have had issues in the past with large knots and level winds.

may just have to go with trial and error....last resort would be to remove level wind

Edited by FISH BUCKET

2 hours ago, FISH BUCKET said:

5/6oz and bait on sandy beaches.......not going to use leader because i will be throwing a level wind reel and the shocker knot will not work with level wind

OK, something to consider. All of mine are conventionals, but no level winds... SL30SH, SL20SH, & Penn 525 mag. 17lb Tritanium, 50 lb Shocker (couple wraps on the spool).

I've used Suffix Advance around rougher bottoms and jetties, so far so good. Can handle lots of abrasion and get pretty roughed up before breaking. I haven't tried Tritanium personally, but definitely will this next season. I use Ande a lot on beaches and open water, really can't beat it for a do all kind of mono line. 

Edited by hairyfishhead

1 hour ago, FISH BUCKET said:

rod is pretty parabolic so i was hoping it would throw 5/6 and smaller bait without shocker

I don't think rod will be the problem.

6oz sinker on 17lb line is a major thing just calling for break-up

Bad day fishing is still much better than good day work.

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him had better take a much closer look at the American Indian.
                                                                                     - Henry Ford-

13 hours ago, FISH BUCKET said:

I was going to use straight 17 with no leader so there will not be a knot issue.

that is what i wanted to hear......that it would be strong enough to handle most surf fish

I only use mono with my conventional reels.  16-20lb is good depending on spool size.  You 100% need a shock leader though.  50lb Berkley Big game works perfectly.  Use a GT Knot to connect your main line to your leader.  Your mainline will snap if put any heat on your casts or if run into anything with teeth.

This video will help with the knot.  I know it shows braid to mono, but I use it for 50lb to mono and I've landed 100 plus pound sharks without failure.