animalbarrie

Your first rod and reel

Rate this topic

32 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

Anyone still have their first rod/reel from when they were a kid?  I’m 37 years old now, when I was clearing some stuff out of my parents basement we found my original Zebulon Snoopy rod and reel with matching tackle box.  Surprisingly it still works.   

4F358F57-7A0F-4D46-A78A-52BB0D96D278.jpeg

Edited by animalbarrie

First outfit was bought used from a friend in 1967. An Ocean City spinning reel and  a Montague rod. Fished Cape May jetties. After the reel wore out caught a nice red, lots of blues and trout on the rod. Good memories.

Yes, I do. My aunt bought me one of those Zebco RT series setups. They broke very quickly. 

While not my true first setup, I would consider the second setup I got one of the most memorable pieces of gear in my life. 

It was a Shakespeare Synergy Titanium spincast combo. Ultra light. When I say I fished that thing for 8 years on and off (but HARD in the last 3 or 4), I’m not exaggerating. My buddy and I would go to a private pong in his grandfathers backyard and I would catch 20-25 bluegill a day, once a week. I must have caught at least 150 fish on that setup, including my biggest bluegill of all time. It was great. Not exactly quality, but it worked, it looked great, and it got me into the sport of fishing and I’ve never been the same since. I think that’s why spincast reels have a special place in my heart. I understand that they are inferior in pretty much every way to spinning and casting tackle, but I’ve caught more fish on those than anything else. I still use them today because I like them, they invoke a since of nostalgia I can’t help but smile at. And they catch fish. 

They gave me a Wonderod and spin cast and tackle box and terminal gear, but didn't take me fishing nearly enough.  I think the rod was broken in a sword fight.

-steve

I still have my Penn 77 and the five foot casting rod from over sixty years ago..  And it still fishes great... This was my first outfit that my father purchase for me after using a dropline..  

Here's my Zebco 33 - Rhino Tough - tough enough to last 50+ years and still working.

In my fathers old tackle box I have a few Daredevle (Daredevil to me) lures I used to use, red and white - makes sense this was my favorite lures as my only "sports hero" in the 70's was.....Evel Knievel.

IMG_7846.jpg

Some type of junk penn combo.

First i bought myself at 11yo was a shimano Sahara 1000 with 4lb mono and a 5'6" BPS microlite glass. The setup started my addiction to speckled trout. Lost it out my my yak a few years ago unfortunately

My first rod & reel was a Zebco combo.

After that I had a couple of Garcia Mitchell 300s. Great reels. I don't remember what rods I paired them with.

A large Ted Williams spinning reel from Sears and a 9' med action something from E.J. Korvette.

I have them both and they still work.

Then, I learned I needed wire to keep my hooks and catch fish!

What a time in my life!

Dam I cant remember, I wanna say my first fresh water set up my brother fished out of the lake. I do remember the first setup I bought was eagle claw graphite rod and cheap Shimano spinner with a finger trigger for one handed fishing got it from Caldor. Man it was garbage.