CtYank

Van Staal VR50 or VR125?

Rate this topic

12 posts in this topic

I mostly inshore boat fish in Rhode Island for stripers, blues, albies, etc. Looking to upgrade my go-to spinning gear. Torn between the Van Staal VR50 and the VR125. The new reel would be paired to either a 7' or 7'6 rod. Like the VR50 but have concerns it may be a bit small. Any comment would be appreciated.

I have both a vr150 and a vr50. There isn’t any difference between my 150 and a 125 except the size of the spool. The 125 is a big reel, more at home on a 9’ or bigger rod. The 50 is tiny compared to the 125, but would probably do well on schoolie bass, bonito, false albacore, fluke and blues. I use mine on schoolies, and figured on bringing it to the keys for flats fishing. It would be a much better match match for your 7 and 7.5’ rods.

I think there are better choices for the boat. I'd be looking at the new Saragosa and put the extra money you save into other gear  

Of your choices, on a 7’ to 7’6” rod, I’d go with a VR50.  While the new Saragosa is no doubt awesome, size wise, it’s a hair bigger than the VR125/150 which IMO too large a reel to go on a 7’ to 7’6” rod.  I think the Gosa 5/6K pairs much better on a 9’ to 10’ surf rod.  From the Shimano line, a Stradic 4000/5000 FL would pair nicely with your rod length.  I use.a Stradic 5000 FK with my 7’6” MH St, Croix Avid Inshore and it’s become my favorite set up.

i use my vr125 on a suzuki 9’6”.  perfect combination.  on my 7’6” casting rod i have a stradic 4000.  its s great reel in this class.

like said above. esp for the boat, get a shimano and save some $$$ for line, leader, and lures.

I have both the vr 50 is a very versatile small reel ! The retrieval speed is great for albies / blues from a boat that would be a good paring on 7’ or 7’ 6” rod ! The 125 onnthat rod would seem a bit heavy more line capacity! Id go vr 50 !

Curious, why a small VS, either size, for a boat rod where sealing and resistance shouldn’t really matter? 

I agree with comments above, the 125/150 on 9-11’ surf rods and a smaller, 4-5000 series on 7’ boat rod. I use my vr125 on my 11’ Century with either a 125 (30#) or 150 (40#) spool.

On my 7-8’ rods, whether inshore wading or boat, I use 4-5000 series, either Diawa Backbay 4000, Slammer III 4500 or gosa 5000 for heaviest in the 8’ rod range. 

Thanks for the input guys. I was looking for a bombproof reel that VS has a reputation for. But your comments here are making  me rethink this. For boat fishing, the VS may be overkill and a Stradic 5000 should fit the bill.

I use a VR50 for backbay shore applications but for a 7’ boat stick I’ve been using a Clash 3000 & really like it. This is for light tackle pluggin. Stradic/Sustain in 4000 & 5000 sizes are also a great choice. 

3 hours ago, CtYank said:

Thanks for the input guys. I was looking for a bombproof reel that VS has a reputation for. But your comments here are making  me rethink this. For boat fishing, the VS may be overkill and a Stradic 5000 should fit the bill.

I own both the 50 and the 125...

The VR line is far from bombproof.. as far as I'm concerned, they belong on a boat...

That said... I'd go shimano for your intended use.. 100%... 

I have both and use both heavily from shore and boat. The 50 for schoolies, bottom jigging and funnies. 150 for throwing big plugs and toggin. I use the 50 when I can get away with it. Usually keep 15-20lb braid on the 50. 30lb on the 125 and 40lb on the 150. Line roller and bearing has been the only replacement parts needed so far.