EricDice

Gift from my wife off Amazon - your recommendation

Rate this topic

13 posts in this topic

My beautiful & loving wife bought me a rod for Christmas. It’s an $80 Ecooda brand rod which is totally unfamiliar to me, but it looks nice. Fuji components. Lightweight. Probably designed as a boat rod rated 6-16 ounces and 7’ length, which I don’t really need (no boat-although I do sometimes fish deep heavy current inlet bridges) but I had every intention of giving it a try regardless.

problem: it’s a casting / conventional rod. 

I’m not investing in conventional tackle at this point in my “busy-dad” life. 

So, I felt bad but I returned it. Now I am supposed to use the credit to order a rod from Amazon. Slightly considering going with the same rod in the spinning version so she feels invested in me using the rod she chose.

Otherwise, do you have any alternative spin rod suggestions available on that specific site in the 80-120 price range? I prefer to give business to local B&T where I usually fish in NJ, but I’m relegated to this one being online. 

Two or more pieces preferred. I’m pretty well set for 8’ & 9’ surf gear but longer or shorter lengths are gaps in my existing collection. I’m leaning towards something that could be used in NJ salt or PA freshwater.  

1 hour ago, EricDice said:

I’m leaning towards something that could be used in NJ salt or PA freshwater.

I don't think you can use it both ways if you are looking for surf salt and PA freshwater.

Freshwater you will be perfectly fine with 7' and less.

NJ surf salt you will need at least 9'. 10' and/or 11' will be much better.

Another thing or two will be weight you are planing to use.

Bait or lures?

I'd exchange the gifts my wife got me all the time. Now we just buy our own gifts and pick out little things for our kids to give us. But every woman is different and if yours would take offense I would just exchange it for the spinning (Happy wife).

Otherwise below are a couple solid options I saw available.

1. 7' carbon shield $120

2. 10' Trophy II $104

Like Pop said, gonna have to be one or the other.

If your wife tries to feed your addiction don’t do anything to discourage that. Years later you may find a use for that rod.  Be appreciative. Her attempt should be treasured.

You really can’t go wrong with the Tsunami Trophy II Surf for the value. A quality entry level rod at a great price. 

2 hours ago, tristate said:

If your wife tries to feed your addiction don’t do anything to discourage that. Years later you may find a use for that rod.  Be appreciative. Her attempt should be treasured.

This is the dilemma! Even at 7’ and 6-16 oz, I was gonna keep it if it wasn’t conventional. Just hard not to picture myself, in the Spring on one of my few outings, staring at it in frustration with some budget conventional reel trying pick out a bird’s nest. 

12 hours ago, EricDice said:

Even at 7’ and 6-16 oz, I was gonna keep it if it wasn’t conventional. 

Can't think of a single application I'd personally use this rod for from the surf.  From the boat, it may be a good rod for blackfishing with big lead, livelining large baits, etc.  Your wife will understand - just express your gratitude & explain that there are rods that are better suited for what you'd like to do.  Can't even count the number of times my wife exchanged gifts I bought her & I'm never offended.  It's pretty much a joke between us now how much I suck at selecting gifts for her ;-).

15 hours ago, unctarheel78 said:

Okuma Rockaway is on amazon for around $100. There's a brand called fiblink on amazon which has several surf rod models which are great for the price (around $65). 

For lures and plugs Rockaway, 3/4 to 3oz or 1-4oz

For bait and wait Fiblink, 3-8oz

:howdy:

On 1/19/2021 at 5:30 PM, Popasilov said:

I don't think you can use it both ways if you are looking for surf salt and PA freshwater.

Freshwater you will be perfectly fine with 7' and less.

NJ surf salt you will need at least 9'. 10' and/or 11' will be much better.

Another thing or two will be weight you are planing to use.

Bait or lures?

Pop, I don’t disagree although I was sorta considering a 9’ or longer salmon/steelhead spinning rod. Hitting one of those salmon runs is on my 2-3 year plan. In the meantime, figured I could use it for FW rivers or SW “ultralight.” 

Or, I could aim for a H 9-12’ SW only rod for bait & wait in Jersey and maybe heavy jigs if I ever have the opportunity to hit the CCC striper run. 

The Rockaway sounds good but I do already have an 8 and a 9 foot surf rod both 3/4 -3. 

There is a very light rod, that you could use on both sides, FW and Shores.

8'6" Rockaway SP Surf rods

Rated 1/4 to 5/8 oz

They may not be too big for fresh waters and may not be too short for surf.

Very lightweight and sensitive rods, originally designed for West coast perch fishing

If you plan throwing most of the time 1/2 oz than take look at them.

On 1/20/2021 at 5:05 PM, tristate said:

Either this or sell it on the sly.  j/k