NHAngler

Pandemic Boat Buying - When will it end?

Rate this topic

77 posts in this topic

Greens is the closest dealer to me and who I spoke with. They do have boats but they are configured far away from the boat build prices on Lund’s site. However you cannot order a new one.

The northeast rep from Lund contacted me today and confirmed there are no more orders for 2021 and could not order 2022 models until later this summer. However, he did find something for me but is Kind of a long ride. Now I need to decide on if I want to make the drive. 

I am not in a rush but would certainly move on the right boat. 

17 hours ago, NHAngler said:

Greens is the closest dealer to me and who I spoke with. They do have boats but they are configured far away from the boat build prices on Lund’s site. However you cannot order a new one.

The northeast rep from Lund contacted me today and confirmed there are no more orders for 2021 and could not order 2022 models until later this summer. However, he did find something for me but is Kind of a long ride. Now I need to decide on if I want to make the drive. 

I am not in a rush but would certainly move on the right boat. 

No more orders for 2021? That’s a crazy stat right there. 

It might mean the order   backlog is full.  Why don't owners put on another shift to meet demand?  That's what most industries do when business is good.  Maybe there isn't a great labor pool of skilled workers. Who knows, I have too many boats go figure.

The big box stores like bps will get there inventories orders filled first from manufactures.  They have contracts that must be fulfilled before a smaller business  or single marina will get there inventory. If the order not fulfilled there is usually contingencies involved . So the manufacture in my eyes do not care  to fulfill the  small guys order. 

We had 6hp and  9.9hp  back order for 6 plus months last year .  My solo skiff were backordered since June. 

So if your looking for anything boating  it will have a hefty price.  I sold both my personal boats last year since the market was so high.  

Long story short. If you want it you gotta pay those premiums.  Market so hot you can't wait . If you want something new look for the biggest box store you can . Give atleast 6 months or any order minimum.  

We still have boats from last year in line waiting to be worked on. 

No-one make money on selling a non rigged ,non motor boat. When they can sell it and make a profit rigged. 

On 1/19/2021 at 0:42 PM, NHAngler said:

I know the answer is likely an obvious one. Last winter/early spring I was going to buy myself a new 16' Lund tiller. I had been planning for quite some time (like 2-3 years). In the spring, they answered the phone during the pandemic but said they had no idea when production would start again so I window shopped for something used with no success. Here it is January of 2021 and Lund dealers are telling me they cannot even order or pre-order a new one and not sure when we will be able to (and definitely not before September 1). 

So maybe the better question is how long does someone keep their boat or rv until they realize they are not using it enough to justify owning it and then sell it?

If you are considering buying a boat, please remember this old but true saying: "The two greatest moments of boat ownership are the day you buy it and the day you sell it." Think about that... So don't do it. Invest your money into BitCoin or donate it to charity. 

It’s not just boats. It’s everything. The fed is printing so much money and handing it to people that it’s better to have a rotting unused boat in your yard than cash savings.

I've had three unsolicited offers made on my house in the last four months. My boat broke down in July and I didn't get it back for four weeks, the guy who owns the place I took it to said to me "Phil I can't work fast enough for all the work we have. I don't know where people are getting the money." I work in the golf industry and overall we just had the best year we've had in 15 or so years. 

Crazy times. I wonder what awaits at the other end. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

Well, I have a boat already. Was looking for a smaller 2nd local boat for ponds and lakes with my dog. Yes, the boat is mostly for him. 

Edited by NHAngler

The buying will end soon and the boat market will be flooded when gas prices creep above $3 at the pump and $3.75 in marinas.

36 mins ago, DAQ said:

The buying will end soon and the boat market will be flooded when gas prices creep above $3 at the pump and $3.75 in marinas.

Maybe I should wait to buy my new motor cause it seems hard to get one at a good price right now.

On 1/20/2021 at 11:29 AM, Running Ape said:

This is why I’m putting together a plywood boat. 

Go for it!

.....never owned a boat before.......no other way for me.

DSC00079-01.jpg.6cbeff94995afcf34200e1f589a093eb.jpg

20200709_161049.jpg.bd3681258467d832dbf726b8a0160813.jpg

Posted (edited) · Report post

Boat building is really fun.  Search for building a bateau.  With a good set of plans it's much easier than you would imagine.  You don't need a lot of tools, but you do need a good work space.

The best time to have a boat is when social distancing.

-steve

Edited by oc1

People that have boats don't care about the gas money nor prices that goes with them. If your that fugil you wouldnt have bought it to began with.  I actually save money going out on the boat  to the sandbar or fishing versus the bar or the wife shopping for the day ...

On 1/22/2021 at 11:00 PM, DAQ said:

The idea that this pandemic was going to be short lived is gone we are already in year two. Circumstances that seemed predicable and controllable have spiraled uncontrollably. Savings have been decimated and back to normal is nowhere insight. If I were  an over strapped boat owner I would be thinking to sell mid-summer if not spring for the best price. I'll admit I'm a nervous Nellie and if I see lean times ahead the first thing to go is the toys.