NHAngler

Pandemic Boat Buying - When will it end?

Rate this topic

53 posts in this topic

I know the answer is likely an obvious one. Last winter/early spring I was going to buy myself a new 16' Lund tiller. I had been planning for quite some time (like 2-3 years). In the spring, they answered the phone during the pandemic but said they had no idea when production would start again so I window shopped for something used with no success. Here it is January of 2021 and Lund dealers are telling me they cannot even order or pre-order a new one and not sure when we will be able to (and definitely not before September 1). 

So maybe the better question is how long does someone keep their boat or rv until they realize they are not using it enough to justify owning it and then sell it?

If you are considering buying a boat, please remember this old but true saying: "The two greatest moments of boat ownership are the day you buy it and the day you sell it." Think about that... So don't do it. Invest your money into BitCoin or donate it to charity. 

Your post has a bunch of different messages.

Yeah, I can tell you alum sheet is tight, but that doesn't jive with the boat ownership thing.

I figure boats will go on sale again when I am dead. Sold my CC in 2017 or 18 cause I wasn't using it too much. Miss the hell outta it, started looking last year then covid started and boats went away. My timing has almost always sucked. 

4 hours ago, Bigfootgrey said:

Don’t know which Lund you were planning to buy but Thayer’s in Norwich Ct has a 2021 Fury tiller and other models for sale on their site

CB432AEE-3719-4958-AB75-9AEA173FAFF0.png

I noticed this boat is no longer posted on their site. My local dealer has one but configured like this with a 40 hp and price is way out of line with Lund’s pricing. They say it is from freight and rigging but still way off. The hull retail price is just under $7k. That is all I wanted to buy. No trailer and no outboard. I will not pay inflated fees. I have prices from them from 1.5 years ago and they are the same as what is posted on Lund’s site. Just no way we have a corona tax added to everything high in demand. 

While I'm complaining, the price of lumber is still high as well so I cannot even build a nice cry box to complain in and had to come here. :)

I missed out on a 16' tiller right when covid first started and no one was buying, it was discounted and had the go ahead from my wife.  I talked myself out of it because of all the travel restrictions, didn't think we'd be able to use it much.  Now I'm kicking myself because can't find jack and what there is, is above msrp.

Production is down on all fronts.  Wood, appliances, boats etc.  Little to no discounts and the used market is up.  Forget about realestate.

3 hours ago, HopHead said:

There's a pile of lunds for sale at green's marine in hooksett last I drove by.  I have an 18 alaskan.....not for sale.

Hooksett NH?