coastalfreak

The most rugged spinning reels ever made.

Rate this topic

45 posts in this topic

I have a Penn 650 SSM from about 30 years ago.It was my first good reel.I beat the hell out of that thing and it still works like a champ.

54 mins ago, Popasilov said:

Am I the only one who may see a potential "small" problem with this, above?

Aligator 02.jpg

Lol.. That was exactly the first thing that popped in my head.

1 hour ago, Popasilov said:

Aligator 02.jpg

Open carry in LA. Would be a good idea to use that to your advantage lol

1 hour ago, Popasilov said:

Aligator 02.jpg

He did say he was a bait and wait guy..... didn’t define who or what was bait. 

Another vote for the old green Penns.  Probably not a lot of difference with the Z models, just never owned them.

The Mitchells were never my choice but they were popular.  The Daiwa Black Golds were nice reels by any standard so I don't know if that would be my choice to abuse.  I have a fond spot for the vintage Dam Quick reels and they might be overlooked and therefore cheaper.

So you can go old, try and buy cheap, and do the maintenance yourself.  Or you can buy something new and sealed.  I think most of us would buy a Spheros if we were in your shoes.  Comes down to what you can find locally for dirt cheap at a yard sale.  If you go Ebay you might be surprised at what some of those old reels are selling for.

If you want to go cheap and good, than try Shimano IX 2000 or 4000.

To me, those are great reels. I used them a lot in saltwater and sometimes I reel them under the water.

They have a rear-drag, fixture that I like a lot, they are very light and they are very durable.

Best part is you can find them for less than $15

Most rugged spinning reel probably SeaMartin . Australian design kind of like the Alvey of spinning reels . Cant say I would want to fish one much.

5E721737-F9E5-4796-B296-9C6046BAFE45.jpeg

Posted (edited) · Report post

Stay with the Penns 710 -712  or step up a notch and find Penn 450 or 550 SS these are metal framed reels they are work houses and parts are still available easy to clean and maintain,

Edited by LB

2 hours ago, Popasilov said:

Aligator 02.jpg

Another reason to go with a Penn Z. You could use it to beat the crap out of that lizard and still catch fish with it. 

Shimano Sienna 4000 the older models. I had that thing under saltwater /mud / fell on it and a lot more . A bit squeaky now but that was $30 and 7years later. 

I was in la. Awhile back and swam across the bayou to get to the salt water marshes on the other side. It was April and the water was cold so I figured I was safe from reptiles...wrong. jumped a moccasin on an island in the middle of the bayou, then when I got to the other side I looked back and saw an alligator cruise by...great. 

I then crossed the levee and fished the marsh but like you said kept sinking into deep mud. There was a broken water ski there so I broke it in half and put one half on one foot and tied the other half to my other foot. Worked perfect.  I talked to some bayou guys later and told them what I really needed was snowshoes. I thought they would laugh, but they said in the old days people did exactly that.....note, caught a couple small reds but there were big ones around. Got them on small fiddler crab I was getting under logs