fishhappy

Braid and Sinker Weight

Rate this topic

26 posts in this topic

How many ounces of sinker weight will 30lb braid take before it snaps?  With mono, the guideline was 10lb of line weight for every 1 oz of sinker weight. Does that standard apply to braid?  I used 65lb braid when casting 6 oz of lead, could I go with thinner line?

That is a good question..Mono has give it stretches and braid doesn't stretch so probably we would need a higher pound test per ounce..  

4 mins ago, sytheteacher said:

That is a good question..Mono has give it stretches and braid doesn't stretch so probably we would need a higher pound test per ounce..  

In your opinion, for 3 oz, maybe 45 or 50 lb braid?

Posted (edited) · Report post

15 mins ago, fishhappy said:

Sure 45 or 50 pound test braid would hold up to casting 3 ounce sinkers.. I usually fish 20 pound test braid and then I tie on a fifteen foot piece of fifty pound test monofilament as a shock leader and found that to work well..

Edited by sytheteacher

My 225lb buddy whipped a 4oz metals using a 13ft CTS VT 3-6oz, paired with the 2020 Saltiga 14k, with PowerPro Super Slick V2 - 15lb. He's punching it to 150yards+ comfortably without afraid of it breaking off. 20lb mono leader.

Edited by StripedBasstardz

It's really about the force of the casting. The mono stretches so there is a cushion from the force to the actual strength of line before it breaks. Braid doesn't that that cushion and doesn't stretch. You will need to calculate the force on your cast with the weight. Also every cast is different. You can make one bad cast and still break a 50lb braid (which happens to all of us).

Just put a leader on it so it can cushion the blow if that happens.  

32 mins ago, sytheteacher said:

Sure 45 or 50 pound test braid would hold up to casting 3 ounce sinkers.. I usually fish 20 pound test braid and then I tie on a fifteen foot piece of fifty pound test monofilament as a shock leader and found that to work well..

What length of shock leader?

24 mins ago, foxfai said:

It's really about the force of the casting. The mono stretches so there is a cushion from the force to the actual strength of line before it breaks. Braid doesn't that that cushion and doesn't stretch. You will need to calculate the force on your cast with the weight. Also every cast is different. You can make one bad cast and still break a 50lb braid (which happens to all of us).

Just put a leader on it so it can cushion the blow if that happens.  

Thanks. 

Over kill on the leader is always best....you send three ounces down a crowded beach at 50knots.....at the very least you will stop in your tracks and the weight will travel high and to the rear right of a right handed caster ....the danger starts if the leader,hook weight rig gets nicked.......from experience the only leaders that haven't snapped on me,throwing 4-5 ounces is 20 and or 12 pound mono threaded through 50 or 30 lb hollow core braid using a simple tapestry needle from a 2$ pack of sewing needles...no knots, swivel then attached to a 40 or 50 lb mono,floro which holds the hook,bait,weight and or lure....all on 12-13 foot bait casters ,century,breakaways,12 foot Capella surf ,diawa 12 foot.etc etc ....I will add a very minute film of gorilla glue with the Brownish tint to the 15_18 feet piece of hollow core leader....draw your own conclusions ...but always use caution

Edited by Surf bomber

1 min ago, Surf bomber said:

Over kill on the leader is always best....you send three ounces down a crowded beach at 50knots.....at the very least you will stop in your tracks and the weight will travel high and to the rear right of a right handed caster ....the danger starts if the leader,hook weight rig gets nicked.......from experience the only leaders that haven't snapped on me,throwing 4-5 ounces is 20 and or 12 pound mono threaded through 50 or 30 lb hollow core braid using a simple tapestry needle from a 2$ pack of sewing needles...no knots, swivel then attached to a 40 or 50 lb mono,floro which holds the hook,bait,weight and or lure....all on 12-13 foot bait casters ,century,breakaways,12 foot Capella surf ,diawa 12 foot.etc etc ....I will add a very minute film of gorilla glue with the Brown is tint to the 15_18 feet piece of hollow core leader....draw your own conclusions ...but always use caution

Do you have any pictures of the leader that was sown?

1 hour ago, fishhappy said:

whilst you can cast 3oz with 30lb (it typically breaks at around 50-ish lb) I'd agree with 50lb being a good idea, for 3-4oz.

But distance on spinner will be affected.

Try surf bomber's idea of a 50lb braid shock leader to your current 30lb main line (or lower BS main line for that matter)

Hollow core is nice, but you can use solid types too

1 min ago, ZAFisher said:

whilst you can cast 3oz with 30lb (it typically breaks at around 50-ish lb) I'd agree with 50lb being a good idea, for 3-4oz.

But distance on spinner will be affected.

Try surf bomber's idea of a 50lb braid shock leader to your current 30lb main line (or lower BS main line for that matter)

Hollow core is nice, but you can use solid types too

What length of 50lb mono are you using?

The mono is threaded thru the eye of the needle then thru the hollow core I'm not at home so I don't have photos you can find it on u tube ...it is a timely process ,a rainy day thing....I like the minute glue the entire length of the hollow ....the hollow core has to be stretched over the mono no baggy spots ....... It's almost a labor of love

The length of my shock leader is about 15 to 20 feet long. About five feet wound on the spool another ten feet up the rod and maybe another five feet coming off the rod tip to the rig and sinker.. This way there is no pressure exerted on the braided line and the mono takes all the casting shock...