mebe007

good substitute for 413 hook

Rate this topic

5 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

ive got some jig molds kicking around the garage  (ultra minnow and banana jig) that i want to start using. what is a good replacement hook for the eagle claw tinned 413 hook. they have always seemed flimsy to me. i think the mustad 32786 BLN is a direct substitute but barlows tackle says it isnt saltwater rated. i need a good strong hook for tog, redfish, striped bass and cobia

Edited by mebe007

The 32786 BLN is fine in saltwater,but it isn't an O'Shaughnessy bend,it's closer to a siwash.

The Mustad 34185DT was the short shank,but they discontinued it again so you'll have to use the 34184DT long shank which is the same length as the 413.

If you look around you can probably find some of the 85's.

85s are near impossible to find.  I will not get my order until May/june.  Mustad started making them again but in china. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

Are all Mustads made in China?  I've found a few 32786 that missed QC. Wrong eye direction, no barb.   

If it's to be expected I'll order bigger packs. But 3 hooks in 3 different 25packs (1per size)isn't enough to complain about but enough to irritate me.  Bad luck.   

Edited by PSegnatelli