sams

Lab breeder recommendations

Rate this topic

25 posts in this topic

Our (mostly) lab passed away last October after 16 years and the family is ready for our next dog.  I would like to get a pure bred lab that I can train to hunt.  I know there are a lot of lab guys on here.  If any of you has recommendations for a good breeder I would appreciate it.  I would prefer a larger lab that will be 80+lbs in good shape, but, that is not a necessity. 

Thanks in advance.

sam

I too am looking for a quality breeder. I had my German shorthair for 13 yrs., then my American chocolate lab for 14 yrs. Loved them both. Older now and not looking for as active a dog so am looking for an English black lab which will likely be our last, so really want to get it right.

I tried contacting two upscale breeders, one in CT and one in NH, through their websites but no responses. I know about the greater demand but a return email would be nice.

I know there is a known breeder much closer to me in SW Mass. but they seem to be really pushing them out and that concerns me a bit.

Any thoughts?
thanks

Posted (edited) · Report post

My present dog is from Oldsquaw Kennels.   www.oldsquawkennels.com

Frank and Sheila Purdy are two of the premium breeders of America field trial dogs in the nation.   Their kennels and training facility is amazing. 

These dogs are hunting machines, with wonderful dispositions. 

Frank an extremely conscientious breeder.  All breeding dogs are OFA certified for hips and elbows, CERF (eyes), EIC, exercise induced collapse, and CNM myopathy.

Puppies are all guaranteed for eyes and hips for 26 months.

Check out his site, you might see Charlie and I.

Edited by bob_G

21 mins ago, bob_G said:

My present dog is from Oldsquaw Kennels.   www.oldsquawkennels.com

Frank and Sheila Purdy are two of the premium breeders of America field trial dogs in the nation.   Their kennels and training facility is amazing. 

These dogs are hunting machines, with wonderful dispositions. 

Frank an extremely conscientious breeder.  All breeding dogs are OFA certified for hips and elbows, CERF (eyes), EIC, exercise induced collapse, and CNM myopathy.

Puppies are all guaranteed for eyes and hips for 26 months.

Check out his site, you might see Charlie and I.

Thanks Bob, but I’m a dinosaur who wouldn’t want to have a dog shipped or drive that far.  They do look like great breeders though. Pics look like American labs to me am I right?

I am willing to drive about 200 miles or so.

19 mins ago, portagee said:

Thanks Bob, but I’m a dinosaur who wouldn’t want to have a dog shipped or drive that far.  They do look like great breeders though. Pics look like American labs to me am I right?

I am willing to drive about 200 miles or so.

Yes, these are American field trial dogs.  The drive out there isn't so bad.  However, Sheila is from this area, the north shore. They're frequently in the area visiting family, and they may arrange to deliver your new dog.

Not sure where you are located but Willow Wind Labs in Granby, MA is my Lab breeder. Kim, the owner, is the best. Highly recommend her. Great Facebook group for her labs.

9 hours ago, sams said:

Our (mostly) lab passed away last October after 16 years and the family is ready for our next dog.  I would like to get a pure bred lab that I can train to hunt.  I know there are a lot of lab guys on here.  If any of you has recommendations for a good breeder I would appreciate it.  I would prefer a larger lab that will be 80+lbs in good shape, but, that is not a necessity. 

Thanks in advance.

sam

there is a lab breeder next town over from me. Amherst NH, you might try to google and it may come up. If not I can find out for you. 

Sorry you lost your dog, it is the worst.  Why not check out your local shelter or a rescue?  There are so many dogs out there that need homes Sorry, this is coming from someone who bought a pure bred German Shepherd from a highly reputable breeder years ago and the dog was a disaster.  Since then I have rescued my last 3 dogs and they are unbelievable.  Granted there are no guarantees with any animal.  

15 mins ago, Twisted said:

Sorry you lost your dog, it is the worst.  Why not check out your local shelter or a rescue?  There are so many dogs out there that need homes Sorry, this is coming from someone who bought a pure bred German Shepherd from a highly reputable breeder years ago and the dog was a disaster.  Since then I have rescued my last 3 dogs and they are unbelievable.  Granted there are no guarantees with any animal.  

Great advise, all of my dogs (and cats) have been rescues.  The best hunting dog I ever had was a rescue from town that my 3 yr. old son picked out for a pet.  That dog had no class but could he find birds........

Dartmoor Labs down on the cape. My brother just picked up his chocolate from Paul last week. Paul offers tons of training opportunities as well. Worth a look for sure.

My previous animals have all been rescues, but, I have wanted a pure bred lab pup my whole life.  At some point in time I won't have the energy to keep up with one so I'm doing it now.

Sam

Absolutely recommend Excalibur Labs in Acushnet, MA. I don't hunt with my dog but he is 80lbs, absolutely loves the water and has a perfect, friendly disposition. Excellent breeders who only do labs and bernese mountain dogs.

89B9A87C-8197-47F9-AD05-C88FC9AE98A8.jpeg

On 1/19/2021 at 1:57 PM, Dieseldog13 said:

Not sure where you are located but Willow Wind Labs in Granby, MA is my Lab breeder. Kim, the owner, is the best. Highly recommend her. Great Facebook group for her labs.

Corb picked up a English chocolate over the summer. Named him Ruger.  Hes a bute.  Got him down in Pennsylvania Amish country for 3500. I almost puked at that price but at 6 months he's pretty chill.