Jason B

Hanging Reels?

Rate this topic

23 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

Winter Time Question

redoing fishing room, how are you guys hanging reels? I’ve got peg board walls and about 20-30 reels most spin, but some cast

thanks

Edited by Jason B

I prefer piles :)

I redo my fishing room about 10x a year.  And haven't found a more efficient use of space than piles 

If I used peg hooks I'd be too tempted to play plinko with a Stella :)

Which reminds me of when my buddy respooled a VS years ago... Stripped it at full speed... Hit the knot and the spool went flying... Hit the wall and plinko'ed its way down all the peg hooks. 

I haven't made one yet but was thinking maybe a piece of wood with slots cut into it like a reel seat? Maybe a 5 x 5 grid and you can easily slide the reel in and out. Another method I was thinking of is just to 3D print a few "reel seats" then mount those onto a board or something. 

Clean ,service ,into a cloth bag or original box ....add a small piece of cedar if it makes you feel better for anti moisture and into the stack  on box .....till next spring......the big box stores have the stack on tool boxes ,home moaners grade for a reasonable price...figure out your cost for shelves etc vs the stack on box.still not cheap but at least the tackle is out of site ....the bride doesn't have to look at it ....it all depends how many boxes you need....lol lol lol...and don't tell the wife how much the box costs..2nd hand may help ..don't dip into the food fund ......just bring it home when she's not home ....lol lol lol all that fishing equipment has many purposes just like the pocket books,shoes,body and fender  I mean beauty parlor,Manny Perry's lol lol lol 

No need/desire for me to display fishing my tackle.

Reels in my current rotation are mounted on rods unless they need servicing.

Then they are in my “needs servicing” tote , on my bench, until I get around to fixing them.

Dozens of reels, in reserve, stored in large plastic tote  and all ready to be put into service should they be needed.

New never used reels are in factory boxes on shelf.

Nobody even knows I fish until they walk into my tackle storage area.

Then it’s pretty apparent I fish...a lot.

He wants to look at his reels, not put them in a box.

Just mount some cheap reel seats to a dowel, hang said dowel from peg board hangers.

Someone on here uses old rod butts with 5-6 reel seats mounted, same idea

12 mins ago, valentine said:

No need/desire for me to display fishing my tackle.

Reels in my current rotation are mounted on rods unless they need servicing.

Not displaying them, no body goes into my fishing except Clarice if I ever I get her down there. 
I hang them to dry off and I theoretically rotate them (never happens). Plus I found leaving a reel on a rod to be fastest way to corrode the foot. I only leave them on if I’m going the next day or two.

Edited by Jason B

6 mins ago, Jason B said:

Not displaying them, no body goes into my fishing except Clarice when I get her down there. 
I hang them to dry off and I theoretically rotate them (never happens). Plus I found leaving a reel on a rod to be fastest way to corrode the foot. I only leave them on if I’m going the next day. 

Freshwater rinse each trip and I can think of only 1 reel that ever had corrosion issues.

Even then, the entire body of that reel became corroded so I’m pretty sure the factory screwed something up with the paint.

It was a Mitchell 300 from the 1970’s.

Purchased new.

Corroded immediately.

My reels stay mounted because I’m always going the next day.

Edited by valentine

I bought a wire rack from Costco with the plastic sheeting. New reels up top. Reels in rotation below. Reels drying will go on the bottom rack on a towel with reels that need maintenance.

4B7F0098-C316-4256-AEA8-29C91C881031.jpeg

8B04D103-6226-42B3-B219-9CC03211E892.jpeg

C4945804-85C7-4EA5-A214-837C67F2D339.jpeg

I put extra reels in those wide, shallow plastic totes.  They're about 6-7 inches deep so reels are not usually placed on top of each other.

-steve

Edited by oc1

46 mins ago, quan808 said:

I bought a wire rack from Costco with the plastic sheeting. New reels up top. Reels in rotation below. Reels drying will go on the bottom rack on a towel with reels that need maintenance.

Great set-up. maybe that’s the way to go, just put up shelves, easy enough, because the conventional are a pain. I had a drawer filled with 10 reels I totally forgot about. 
thanks for posting

Edited by Jason B

Easier to see what you have to. Just like you I forget what I have if it is out of sight. I maintain reels for my Dad and brother so its just easier if you can make a quick visual. Also a rack/shelf allows you to go up and maximize the storage space.

I used to be in the restaurant business so I have all of my reels, rod building space, power tools and restaurant smallwares piled to the ceiling in the den. It's working for now, but I do need to de-clutter.

I wanna say that is a 4' wide shelf too and you can get it in 2', 3', 4', 5', 6' and stack it as high as you want. I was looking for a way to use every open space for storage.

Edited by quan808

8 hours ago, quan808 said:

Where's the boat? When's the garage sale?