BrianBM

And we still have bunker.

Rate this topic

26 posts in this topic

There are bunker carasses littering the shore of Mt. Sinai harbor, on the sound side, and as I drove away, I saw a little blue heron spear a fresh wiggly one in the back of the harbor. Very surprising to me.

Global warming? Or what? There aren't any sun-warmed springs running into Mt. Sinai any more.

3 hours ago, BrianBM said:

There are bunker carasses littering the shore of Mt. Sinai harbor, on the sound side, and as I drove away, I saw a little blue heron spear a fresh wiggly one in the back of the harbor. Very surprising to me.

Global warming? Or what? There aren't any sun-warmed springs running into Mt. Sinai any more.

I noticed some dead over there at cedar a few days ago as well....

And a few on the beach today at Shoreham village beach too.. my dog always seems to alert me to their presence..

More holdovers seem to be around this year also..

Posted (edited) · Report post

4 hours ago, Popasilov said:

Aren't Blue Heron present all year-round in New York coast?

I've seen them mid Jan on LIS in CT.  My BIL and I would put up a blue heron decoy for confidence while waterfowl hunting.  

And not these recent years of bluebird winters.   I recall some trips near zero and breaking ice to get into marshland pools.  

Eta.   I'm thinking back and remembering one year we're scootin across the sound.  It's cold AF! And we see this thing bobbing between the shore and a island.   We think its a human so we go that ways.   Turns out to be a deer truckin along.    We watch it swim to shore.  Shake a few times. Then go bounding away.   

Crazy SOB. 

Edited by PSegnatelli

Spoke with my son yesterday, he's working at Black Point overlooking Niantic Bay on LIS. He said there are still schools of bunker around. Hopefully this means there will be better striper and bluefish populations later in the season. Plenty for them to eat!

6 mins ago, Good2Go said:

Spoke with my son yesterday, he's working at Black Point overlooking Niantic Bay on LIS. He said there are still schools of bunker around. Hopefully this means there will be better striper and bluefish populations later in the season. Plenty for them to eat!

great area, have a place on griswald island. fishing has been disappointing past 15 years though.

Posted (edited) · Report post

My last trip was end of November, Breezy. 
There were dead bunker on the beach for the mile plus walk (back side). Every 10 feet or so one, then maybe 2 or 3. It sounds like this is the case still now all over. 
Is this normal or is something really wrong?

Edited by Surfratiam

I don't think this is normal.

Something must be going on since this has been happening for a little bit longer than any time before as I can remember.

I noticed them all around montauk right after that big storm the day before Christmas. Very fresh, like they either froze or got caught in the surf. Since then there are more but they all seem have been dead for a while and the cold water has been preserving them. 

On 1/21/2021 at 2:16 PM, the3fishheads said:

It's about time for alwives to show...they can be found trying to enter fresh water.

Often confused for menhaden.

Still a while for that.  They usually show up first on the East End, around the first or second week of March, then start showing up further west.  For the last few years, I've been monitoring herring runs in SW Suffolk, and the first fish usually show up there around March 20.

The photo is the first alewife confirmed in Sumpawams Creek, on the Babylon/West Islip border, in years.  I found it on March 30, 2020 (thaniks to a cooperative bird that pulled it out of the creek, then left it on the bank when it was apparently too big to swallow).  Confirmed a second alewife in about the same place on April 10.

Sumpawams herring pen.jpg