New rod arrived, guide issue

Rate this topic

cityevader

I just received today from Tackledirect, an 11' Okuma Rockaway Surf rod, 1/2-2oz.

It feels and looks excellent, but the last guide before the tip had a bit of the Zirconium coating chipped off. As I lightly used a fingernail to determine if debris/chip, a larger piece of the coating peeled off.20210118_183508.jpg.99f7ca63f8d22d228d0f8650ea4eb60b.jpg

While awaiting a reply from Tackledirect, I was wondering just how much that final guide would "really" matter, if the rest of the coating was peeled off to regain smoothness? This is the best shot I could get in artificial light....at the 10 o'clock position in between the arrows.

That looks off. That thing looks all baked up. Send it back.   

The village, which had stood for maybe 1,000 years, didn't know we were coming that day. If they had, they would have run. boB was at the eye of our rage. And through him, our Captain Ahab. He would set things right again. That day, we loved him.

1 hour ago, hobobob said:

You sure its not excess glue?

Waddayaknow....a 15x eye loupe was needed to see that it was indeed glue, and a thin pointy plastic tool got it off.

Now I can also see a small blob of glue puddled up in the ring I.D., but at least it's up top and is very smooth visually and to a Qtip. I'll run with that and let Tackledirect know that all is good.

15 hours ago, cityevader said:

Waddayaknow....a 15x eye loupe was needed to see that it was indeed glue, and a thin pointy plastic tool got it off.

Now I can also see a small blob of glue puddled up in the ring I.D., but at least it's up top and is very smooth visually and to a Qtip. I'll run with that and let Tackledirect know that all is good.

Good thing you're not anal about things like that a lot of guys are they would still send it back.

I bought a muskie rod from Amazon, and okuma and one of the guide rings what's popped out, the good thing was I also previously bought a box of casting guides for 20 bucks from Amazon, I took the ring out of the appropriate size one popped it in a drop of crazy glue at all is good to this day it's the third season later.

Good on you.

HH

Edited by Heavy Hooksetter

An armed man is a citizen,,,an unarmed man is a subject,,,,,,,,

5 hours ago, cityevader said:

I just received today from Tackledirect, an 11' Okuma Rockaway Surf rod, 1/2-2oz.

Welcome to the club.

You will love it.

Bad day fishing is still much better than good day work.

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him had better take a much closer look at the American Indian.
                                                                                     - Henry Ford-

1 hour ago, Heavy Hooksetter said:

Question,,, with a rod that length and was such a light rating is it like a noodle?

HH

I have 10' ML and it is not a noodle, at least, not to me.

My 11' is M, 3/4 to 3oz

Those are my primary rods for beach fishing.

I also have 10' M 3/4 to 3 and 12 MH 1 to 4oz

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him had better take a much closer look at the American Indian.
                                                                                     - Henry Ford-

7 hours ago, Popasilov said:

I have 10' ML and it is not a noodle, at least, not to me.

My 11' is M, 3/4 to 3oz

Those are my primary rods for beach fishing.

I also have 10' M 3/4 to 3 and 12 MH 1 to 4oz

For some reason I keep picturing a noodle, okay is it at least very parabolic?

HH

8 hours ago, cityevader said:

I haven't used it yet...but it doesn't feel "too" noodly...I wanted to sunrise fish it before work today but it's blowing 25mph.

Intended use is 5/8oz Luckycraft to slightly over 1oz Hydro/SP Minnows etc, plus similar weight Carolina rigs.

I am trying to picture how the that Rod would behave due to the ratings and the length.

Since I gave up Beach fishing many many years ago, Rod such as that with that kind of rating unless would have no place in my arsenal as a river fisherman.

I'm going to guess it has a slow parabolic action?

My lightest setups throw up to two ounces but, the top quarter of the rod is softer while the rest of it is stiff with backbone and is not parabolic at all.

As for length they range from eight and a half to nine foot maximum.

HH

3 hours ago, Heavy Hooksetter said:

For some reason I keep picturing a noodle, okay is it at least very parabolic?

HH

You could say parabolic, since actions of those rods are MF.

Most of the action is on the top part of the rod.

I never had any"monster" fish on it to see that rod in full extension.

- Henry Ford-