SJ from the Bay

Anybody Run Tide Clocks at Home?

Rate this topic

17 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

Those analog clocks are really handy if you live somewhere that has regular semidiurnal tides like the east coast.  They're not so useful if you have diurnal or mixed tides like the Gulf, Caribbean, West Coast or Hawaii.  For that you need something more sophisticated.

https://manoa.hawaii.edu/exploringourfluidearth/media_colorbox/2324/media_original/en

The Schelling clocks sort of work for West Coast if you reprogram it every week.  These days, you can get current info  for any type of tide online or in an app.

-steve

Edited by oc1

Posted (edited) · Report post

I use a Tide Charts on my iPhone and you can set it up as a home screen widget. What I really like about the app is that it will change to the nearest tide station whatever your location is.

IMG_BF6245B7781E-1.jpg

Edited by BernOC

I need to get more smarter with cell phone stuff.

I still carry around a tide chart that the local tackle shop provides to its customers

4 hours ago, BernOC said:

I use a Tide Charts on my iPhone and you can set it up as a home screen widget. What I really like about the app is that it will change to the nearest tide station whatever your location is.

IMG_BF6245B7781E-1.jpg

I love this idea. How were you able to add the Tides app to the home screen? I was only able to add it to the today page and only the small version. Tides doesn't show up when I search for widgets in the "edit home screen" menu. 

I use Windfinder Pro.  It has the wind speed, wind direction, rain probability, swell height, swell direction and tides, all at three hour intervals for the next ten days.

-steve

6 mins ago, oc1 said:

I use Windfinder Pro.  It has the wind speed, wind direction, rain probability, swell height, swell direction and tides, all at three hour intervals for the next ten days.

-steve

I’ll have to check it out, thank you