Cmac3358

Beginner looking for set up / advice

Rate this topic

18 posts in this topic

Hi I’m new to the forum and looking for some advice on beginning to fish the surf. As a brief background I’ve been bass fishing my whole life but never really adventured over to the salt. I’ve caught a couple of blue fish and a few schoolies but a blind squirrel finds a nut every once in a while. I’m looking into taking my kayak out and tying to get into some stripers this year. I’m looking to try to find a solid rod and reel to pick up as well as some tackle advice to get me started. Any advice / links to articles is appreciated and sorry if I started a thread that has already been talked about. 

Welcome Cmac3358 to Sol . Advice on fishing the surf comes in many forms and the first thing is never be afraid to experiment from what ever you may read or hear about a subject. Reading is your biggest teacher and the more you read the more you learn . What you may need to fish the surf will be different then what you might want to choose when you go out in your kayak . Try to remain safe no matter what or where you go You will find plenty of information here to get you started and once you get to specific element of the fishing you want to do, bait,artificial s,like plugs and Jigs it might be easier to help you. We have some nice young fishermen who post here and hopefully they will be able to get you started into a very consuming sport, we all call fishing.

I would suggest that you obtain a note book and start a journal that will become part of you as you age and learn more about fishing itself.

Peace and Prayers

Cmac, give us an idea of where you're looking to fish (ocen beach? Cape Cod Canal? Back bay areas?) and you'll get more specific advice.

Posted (edited) · Report post

53 mins ago, Cmac3358 said:

So I’m local to the Essex river Gloucester Rockport area but regularly drive 2-3 hours to fish anyways. 

Great local spots almost everywhere for you. A 9 or 10 foot medium rod with a 4000 or 5000 series reel should be able to handle the River, Boulder fields, and beach, a 7 foot for the yak is what I use. Good luck. 

The people at Tomo’s in Salem were helpful for me - they should be able to help you. 

Edited by Z0rb0

11 hours ago, Cmac3358 said:

Back bay areas  

Cmac you might be better off picking up what is known as a combination rod and reel from your local shop Tomo,s could get you started for sure . This is where the rod and reel are sold as a combination unit for one price, until you really know what you are looking for to use. I also have posted many times here that buy the best one you can for what ever money you have to spend. Peace and Prayers

11 hours ago, Cmac3358 said:

So I’m local to the Essex river Gloucester Rockport area but regularly drive 2-3 hours to fish anyways. 

13 hours ago, Angler #1 said:

Welcome Cmac3358 to Sol . Advice on fishing the surf comes in many forms and the first thing is never be afraid to experiment from what ever you may read or hear about a subject. Reading is your biggest teacher and the more you read the more you learn . What you may need to fish the surf will be different then what you might want to choose when you go out in your kayak . Try to remain safe no matter what or where you go You will find plenty of information here to get you started and once you get to specific element of the fishing you want to do, bait,artificial s,like plugs and Jigs it might be easier to help you. We have some nice young fishermen who post here and hopefully they will be able to get you started into a very consuming sport, we all call fishing.

I would suggest that you obtain a note book and start a journal that will become part of you as you age and learn more about fishing itself.

Peace and Prayers

Welcome aboard and second on reading about fishing. Use the search feature here and get to know your local area. There are good books available that cover equipment and the nuts and bolts of surfcasting. 

I'd go with a decent 9' rod with a 5000 or 6000 series reel.  There can be some pretty big fish in the back waters around here and a 4000 always feels light to me on a 9' rod.  Something like a St Croix Mojo would be a good option.  The Art of Surf Fishing with Lures by Zeno Hromin is a good read in terms of getting you started with how to fish specific lures and how to match them to conditions.

sam

The Kayak Fishing section of SOL has a ton of information specific to that activity - especially check out the safety related posts, including recommended kayak specs for the salt. As some mentioned already, your surf rod/reel set-up would be very different from a kayak set-up. A 7' Ugly Stik Tiger Elite is a solid choice for the kayak.

I 2nd tj7501 statement about talking to people on the Kayak forum. lots of info there. Above all be safe. remember that kayaks do tip so either secure your rod or get a cheep one so if it goes over your not heartbroken.