cityevader

Power/action with reel position change

Rate this topic

9 posts in this topic

Penn Battalion 10' with 3/4-3oz, 17-30# braid rating.Typical use is Carolina or hi/lo rigs, BG4000/Saragossa 5000, 14-20# braid.

The reel is a bit far out, so the butt hits my body when maneuvering the rod around... and it also feels a bit "stiff" during casts compared to my Battalion 9' with 1/2-2oz, 12-20# rating (which I love btw).

If I move the reel seat back, say 3" (as opposed to cutting down the butt) will it have a "profound" effect on power/ action? I don't mind some reduction, I think. (Sensitivity is somewhat important for Surf Perch.)

I'm debating on selling it as is (hardly used) because I don't really like it, or modifying it in the hopes of liking it. Someday I may be in the position of throwing plugs in its weight range, but that certainly wouldn't be often. 

It never occured to me to tape the reel, thank you! That will eliminate every potential issue in one swoop. 

BTW, how did you link that thread? I discovered one cannot copy/ paste a thread url here.

I think I got it backwards initially... moving the reel back would increase power and action, not reduce it, since the fulcrum is moving deeper into the stronger handle...and if the butt is cut, then both will reduce, right?

Action is the bend of the rod, fast, moderate, slow. This occurs mostly in the tip section and will not change unless you add or remove guides or cut the tip.

Power is the back bone or what weight it can handle. 
Moving the seat back or cutting the butt will not increase power either. you might loose some power by moving the fulcrum point back taking casting or leverage out of your cast.

3 hours ago, cityevader said:

BTW, how did you link that thread? I discovered one cannot copy/ paste a thread url here.

By coping and pasting a thread URL into the body/text my reply