Heron25

wife friendly shotgun

Rate this topic

33 posts in this topic

wife wants to start training with a shotgun. She's a strong 5 feet tall.  Any recommendations on what I should be looking at?  Home defense would be primary usage (aware of strengths and weaknesses of shotgun for this purpose).  She wants to buy a new one, I'm not going to say no for when I want to pick more up in the future.  

13 mins ago, Heron25 said:

wife wants to start training with a shotgun. She's a strong 5 feet tall.  Any recommendations on what I should be looking at?  Home defense would be primary usage (aware of strengths and weaknesses of shotgun for this purpose).  She wants to buy a new one, I'm not going to say no for when I want to pick more up in the future.  

Hunting, self defense, or trap?

Just now, Heron25 said:

home defense

I'd go 20 gauge.  Not sure how supplies are in your area but the shotguns are cleaned out in my area.

Normally there are a number of low cost pump shotguns with shorter barrels.

Might be hard to find right now.

In 12 gauge Mossburg 500 can usually be found used and various aftermarket barrels are usually available.

Although I haven't looked for any in the past couple months.

I'm not sure if you can get barrels shipped to you in NJ.

Home defense shotguns are a hot ticket item now and have been for the last few months , So your choices will be very limited , First off has she shot one before and if so what gage was it 12 or 20 , You need to determine how she would deal with the recoil , Everyone is different I've seen some small people handle some heavy recoil and big ones that just can't handle it , I'd find a trap and skeet range that rents shotguns for use on there range and have her try them starting with 20 gage then 12 gage , Now what kind of shotgun , For HD it's going to be a pump or auto she should handle both , With Remington not producing right now my favorite the 870 pump is just not available , Not to say you couldn't find one in the used market and that would be fine , Benelli Nova is a good choice too , Keep in mind that due to the lack of supply prices are jacked up so expect to pay a bit more . Also ammo is even worse than the availability of the guns , I was looking for 20 ga. buckshot for a friend and their is zero , Found some 12 ga. . 

Posted (edited) · Report post

I will also ask if she if left handed?

I am and it influences my choices.

Safety and action release can be an issue for a lefty.

Added:  I wouldn't shy away from #6 field loads if she can't handle heavy loads or you can't find them in this market.

Edited by Steve_in_PA

If she's 5' I'd look at a smaller model like a Mossberg 500 Youth. 

Ideally she could try out whatever you're considering before purchase.  

I picked up a mossberg bantam 500 in 20 gauge for the Mrs.  Shorter barrel and lop. I'm thinking about buying a longer rear stock for when I want to use it.

Definite 20ga.  Inside a house a bad guy won't know the difference.  

Mossberg 500 youth model. Short gun. 24" barrel. 

Mossberg 510. It's a super micro youth model.  18 1/2" barrel. The stock is TINY.  

I own both.  I'm in burlington county. Not sure where you are at. Welcome to handle them.  

I'm keeping the regular youth model. Will most likely sell the 510 as my boys have outgrown it. 

Nick

The Mossberg is a solid choice if she's left Handed and you both can use it because the safety is on the top back of the receiver 

2 hours ago, SnookerFla said:

I picked up a mossberg bantam 500 in 20 gauge for the Mrs.  Shorter barrel and lop. I'm thinking about buying a longer rear stock for when I want to use it.

Same here.

1 hour ago, LBI SurfRat said:

Definite 20ga.  Inside a house a bad guy won't know the difference.  

Mossberg 500 youth model. Short gun. 24" barrel. 

Mossberg 510. It's a super micro youth model.  18 1/2" barrel. The stock is TINY.  

I own both.  I'm in burlington county. Not sure where you are at. Welcome to handle them.  

I'm keeping the regular youth model. Will most likely sell the 510 as my boys have outgrown it. 

Nick

thanks man- I appreciate the offer.  The youth model may be the way to go as my 9 old daughter wants to start shooting also.  I'll definitely look into that.  

4 hours ago, Heron25 said:

The only difference between a new one and an old one is the price, they ain't like cars. I'll take a used one over a new one any day of the week. I also agree with a 20 gauge, they both shoot lead (or steel) at the same speed, the 12 just has a bit more lead and kicks harder. Hard to beat a Rem 870 or a Mossburg 500, I've had both, both rock solid.There are more expensive pumps out there, there aren't better ones for the money.

Posted (edited) · Report post

There is the Mossberg Maverick 88 as well that is the same as a 500 but cheaper.  Only difference is a top versus side safety switch and plastic vs metal trigger guard.

The stock on the full sized version is on the longer end (might be a little cumbersome for someone of smaller stature).

Buy the full sized firearm and change the stock to the LOP/Youth stock.  Nothing wrong with having both.

Edited by DEM Parking Lot