kermic

2 hander surf rod recommend

Rate this topic

48 posts in this topic

Anyone have a recommendation on a decent 2 handed surf rod on the 8 wt. 11’ 4 pc. range that won’t break the bank?   Thanks.  

Kermic,

Whereabouts are you going to fish geographically.  If you are fishing NE Coast of USA then many times you will be outgunned with an 8 wt by the wind and surf if you are going to fish open beaches.  You are better off thinking 

around 550 to 600 grains capability and casting overhead. 

Not easy to find rods that fit the bill for short money.

Mike

I’ve got a Loop Spey rod that I cut down 6” and it throws 500 grains or so pretty well. Relatively cheap and has served me pretty well on most nights. I’ll look at the model and post tomorrow.

11 hours ago, kermic said:

Thanks for reply.  I would be fishing mainly Jersey coast.  

Think you need minimum of a 10 WT.  I’m in jersey also and looking at 10 or 12 T&T

Posted (edited) · Report post

BWalsh

Be careful about lines. There is a single hand rod line scale and a Double Hand Line scale.

The T and T Rod was their 12 x 12. 12 foot long 12 wt line. But the line is a single hand rating. It is unlikely to offer a lot of performance increase over a nice 10 wt single hander if any into the wind.

To be effective out front we really need to be thinking around 550 to 600 grains with a two hander.

Now rods sold for spey can be rated for say 600 grains but that is for spey casting not overhead. A heavier line is needed for spey as the only portion of the line loading the rod is in the upper part of the D loop. For overhead a 600 grain spey rod is going to function better with a line around 400 grains.

I really got to understand this recently when I got a Rio Single Hand Spey Line in a 6 wt. The head weighs 230 grains compared to around 170 grains for a normal single hand wf line. I cast a 6 wt rod and the spey line is fantastic for spey but wins no awards for overhead and why should it.

Hope this I fo helps.

Mike

PS. Heh sorry I made a silly assumption that it was the T and T two hander. You could have been talking a 12 wt single. But the info hopefully will still be useful.

Edited by Mike Oliver

I don’t think there is any factory rod that really excels in the surf but you could Buy a cheap 12ft 2.75 test curve carp rod like a Diawa Mad dragon or Emcast and then tape on a reel with a 650-750 grain skagit head and 100 grain mow tip. I did this for a whole season and then replaced the reel seat and stripper guide. That’s it. It will throw the entire line . Eventually I copied Red Greens pac bay build which is an even better option with about 700 grain total. I’m new to two hand but these have worked for me.

1 hour ago, Stripsettter said:

I don’t think there is any factory rod that really excels in the surf but you could Buy a cheap 12ft 2.75 test curve carp rod like a Diawa Mad dragon or Emcast and then tape on a reel with a 650-750 grain skagit head and 100 grain mow tip. I did this for a whole season and then replaced the reel seat and stripper guide. That’s it. It will throw the entire line . Eventually I copied Red Greens pac bay build which is an even better option with about 700 grain total. I’m new to two hand but these have worked for me.

Hi there 

I tend to agree and disagree...I have Opal surf 9/10 and 7/8 esperience... . They shoot 510 and 425 respectively.and to be honest I will have more fun with the lighter one this season...

I do not use a two hander to build muscle. I'm there to have fun.

It's all about fun guys.

So, regarding OP, just try stuff, and have fun !!!

Cheers

I have the Beulah Opal 9/10 with a  490 grain third cast skagit and rio heavy mow tips-  throws quite nicely.  I also have CTS hybrid that I bought from Herb on this site which I use with the same set up that is an absolute ball to fish with.  I find the Opal handles wind better; although  healthy wind in your face with a two hander, at least for me is a problematic.

It’s all down to expectations. You can use much of anything. What has never ceased to amaze me is that it is only in the arena  of TH rods for the surf that guys are happy to put up with gear that is not really suitable,

Funny but no one suggests it a good idea to take a 6  wt single hander out into the waves but with TH rods anything goes.

Where is that sun set that I need to walk to. 

mikey

6 hours ago, Mike Oliver said:

It’s all down to expectations. You can use much of anything. What has never ceased to amaze me is that it is only in the arena  of TH rods for the surf that guys are happy to put up with gear that is not really suitable,

Funny but no one suggests it a good idea to take a 6  wt single hander out into the waves but with TH rods anything goes.

Where is that sun set that I need to walk to. 

mikey

You are right. It's all about expectations...Fish fighting power with the Opals is really no problem, but as far as distance casting goes, it's not ''up there'' with the more ''specialized'' equipment.

About the sun set...

Take a deep breath, open your eyes, you'll find it.

Cheers

19 hours ago, snapper1 said:

You are right. It's all about expectations...Fish fighting power with the Opals is really no problem, but as far as distance casting goes, it's not ''up there'' with the more ''specialized'' equipment.

About the sun set...

Take a deep breath, open your eyes, you'll find it.

Cheers

Heh Snapper,

Thanks.I appreciate it. I will do just that. In fact tonight there was a decent one driving back down the M6 motorway. Walking would have been nicer mind.

Don,t  mind me half the time I don’t mean it. Just an old  gnarly git.

Mikey  

4 hours ago, kermic said:

A lot of great information to absorb here.  Does anyone have any experience with Echo Beach Boost TH rod?  Looks promising for me. 

You can find a video on you tube with Tim Ryjeff. Sorry about the spelling casting it over head.

Mike