Kayaken410

Newbie pure building questions

Rate this topic

23 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

10 hours ago, Wire For Fire said:

... I cut open like 5 bundles climbing on the rack sorting through like a 100 piece and left with like 5 good ones lol... def was getting ton of looks but fuuuk em.. 

If they stocked quality wood we wouldn't have to sort through the nonsense to find a few usable pieces...I'll terrorize their piles until I find a few decent sticks on just about any/all of my projects.

Edited by H'Islander

1 min ago, H'Islander said:

If they stocked quality wood we wouldn't have to sort through the nonsense to find a few usable pieces...I'll terrorize their piles until I find a few decent sticks on just about any/all of my projects.

Ya no doubt .  Always a struggle to find handful of decent pieces in any lumber they carry 

At least I have something fun to do on the weekends wood hunting.  Great recommendation on looking for balusters.

So I have a 5/32" or 0.156" diameter 12" long aircraft bit and when I drill the plug, the nose grommet is a slip fit.  Definitely not press fit.  Measuring with a caliper, the nose grommet shaft measures 0.153".  The tail grommets I have have shaft diameters of 0.115" and also 0.131".  Based on these measurements, do I stay with the 5/32 drill bit even though there would be a lot play on the tail grommet?  OR:

Do I buy a drill bits to match the nose and tail grommets diameters, drill from both ends respectively and then connect in the middle with the 5/32" aircraft 12" long bit?  Something tells me I'm over thinking this.  Story of my life.

Posted (edited) · Report post

Your over thinking it . I use 3/16” 99% of the time . 5/32 might be alil more snug but it’s splitting hairs. Ya gonna want a shorter bit regardless of which size ya choose . 12” flex and walk to much in my experience. 6” bit drill from both ends , take your time marking center before drilling  . Once your plugs epoxied the holes will need to be cleared . Which I use 3/16” same way for nose and maybe 1/8” or whatever’s close by on tail if the plugs not tail weighted . And then  when  the plugs all wired up it’s tightens everything up . 

Edited by Wire For Fire

Just to further confuse.  I through drill with 1/8” bit 6”” long and redress the nose with 5/32”.  As you can see there are a lot of ways to get it done. That theme is the consistent on every question asked. Sometimes I read one and can’t see why someone would do it that way but others think the same of my style. In the end the plugs all get done. 

Yea a lot of ways to skin the cat here . Like said I would read here as much as ya can . You will get lots of great tips and inspiration and will help ya forming your own process