CTnewbie

Tossing 1/2 ounce jig heads/plastics...best rod for distance?

Rate this topic

48 posts in this topic

Hey all - sorry for the basic questions; however...

Tossing a 1/2 ounce jig head (for small 3-4 inch cocahoe minnows) - what distance should you expect? 

Spinning rod you would be using? 

Have been throwing a 7ft Avid Surf Rod and 6.6 Tidemaster - but not getting the distance I would like.  

Thoughts? 

Better question, or answer. Downsize the braid to 10 lb. or so, and use a long cast spinner. A high-priced steelhead rod will help, or a luxe rod from Century or something, but do the line and reel first.

19 mins ago, CTnewbie said:

Tossing a 1/2 ounce jig head (for small 3-4 inch cocahoe minnows) - what distance should you expect? 

Have been throwing a 7ft Avid Surf Rod and 6.6 Tidemaster - but not getting the distance I would like.  

Thoughts? 

Just curious but what distance do you think you should get with this set up?  Fwiw, I throw this (and lighter) with a 8’ Suzuki and 9’ FSC 1086 without issue.  I only throw these in the spring and  those early fish tend to be in shallow water so distance hasn’t really been a major limitation.

51 mins ago, CTnewbie said:

Thoughts? 

9' Century Demon or 9'6" Century Weapon would both shine at this.

In real terms, I would think a 1/2 oz soft plastic will go 30-35 yards. A fluke on a head will go further than a grub. While what you have is not ideal, I don't think that the rod you choose will change your distance much. There really is only so far the lures will go.

Brian's suggestion is spot on. The best way to improve your experience is lighter line. I would add to make sure your spool is filled properly.  

Thanks all for the suggestions - do like the idea about the line size! 

As for current toss, I’m probably in that 30-35 yards.  To your point, the body definitely gets hung up. 

Again, thanks all.  

Big fan of lamiglas 108L 1 ,as a rod for the early spring.

I would suggest Looking as much at your reel as I would your rod.

I like any shimano in the 4500-5000 series size Or Daiwa BGs in that size.

penn are much more hardier in the salt than the before mentioned reels but in the smaller size but  I don’t think they cast as well....

about braid I guess you could use 20 lb but I don’t like using anything less than 30 lb braid. The smaller stuff is too easily caught in line roller spacers or other tight spaces.

also you will never untangle a wind knot in 10 lb braid....

if you are throwing smaller/ light weight stuff u will get wind night especially if you have any wind or cross winds....

again just my .02 

As one man’s opinion who owns far too many rods and reels in the 3/8-1.5oz class lots of factors will play a part in overall distance. Wind resistance, line resistance, type and placing of guides, reel design, length of rod, length of rod grip, rod taper and design, rod composition, weather and wind,  type cast, and casters ability all have there effects so it is tough to give a reliable expected distance to someone else. I have my favorite setup as I am throwing  3/4 oz - 1oz lures usually from the sand. But I am sure it would cast 1/2oz and trailers just as well. Fact is I have made this my goto and cased the others. But it does not mean this would be the best for you and your variables. Best thing to do is try as many combos as you can to find what’s best for you. 

Now, I would recommend my setup to BrianBM.... just saying! ;)

I also, like  light sets for beach.

Most of my lures are in range 1/2 to 2 oz and my 10'  Rockaway serves me very well in this domain.

Paired with Okuma Trio 30S and 20lb braid

Again, thanks for all the helpful pointers. 

As folks asked about the reels - for the Avid, I have a Shimano Gossa 6000 (30lb braid); for the Tidemaster, I have a Penn Spinfisher 3500 (15lb braid). 

I think the 30lb braid is probably limiting me on the Avid.  

Also, maybe I’m expecting to toss the small 1/2 ounce too far? Would most agree that 30 yards is about the tops? 

Again, really appreciate all of the good advice! Tight lines all. 

Agreed that the 30# braid is limiting you. I also think you could benefit with a longer rod. Moving up to a 9 or 10' will get you more distance. I'm probably fishing the same body of water that you are right now and I'm hitting the middle of the channel with soft plastics using a 10' rod and 15# super slick. 

1 hour ago, Jim DE said:

As one man’s opinion who owns far too many rods and reels in the 3/8-1.5oz class lots of factors will play a part in overall distance. Wind resistance, line resistance, type and placing of guides, reel design, length of rod, length of rod grip, rod taper and design, rod composition, weather and wind,  type cast, and casters ability all have there effects so it is tough to give a reliable expected distance to someone else. I have my favorite setup as I am throwing  3/4 oz - 1oz lures usually from the sand. But I am sure it would cast 1/2oz and trailers just as well. Fact is I have made this my goto and cased the others. But it does not mean this would be the best for you and your variables. Best thing to do is try as many combos as you can to find what’s best for you. 

Now, I would recommend my setup to BrianBM.... just saying! ;)

AAaaaarrgggggg!  

3 hours ago, Dave the fisherman said:

I get pretty good distance on my 10' Suzuki Special, definitely further than usinug my 7' Challenger Bank, both rated the same.

I'm using a 15lb braid with it.

New 8', 8'6", 9' and 9'6" Black Hole Suzuki Ultra Light rods are coming by the end of Feb.

I am going to test them for speckled trout in Virginia Beach using 1/4 oz - 1/2 oz lures on Thurs