BrianBM

smallest hook for NE fly fishing and tying?

Rate this topic

29 posts in this topic

What's the smallest hook size useful, when tying flies for fishing in the NE?

Chark had #7 hooks, a Japanese brand, on sale in closeout. The hooks were a good brand, Daiichi or something. The blurb talked about using them when casting anchovies. I dunno about that, I don't cast anchovies, but I do tie flies. So, does a #7 lend itself to tying for fishing here in the NE?

If going by size alone a #7 would certainly be a usable size . Bigger question is what style hook ? Sounds to me a hook designed to be fished with bait would be just that . You certainly can tie a fly on any hook but would the fly meet your expectations ? FWIW as for hook size I've tied flies down to #28 . I have 50 # 32's I don't think I'll ever try to tie on . 

20 hours ago, KidDkivahh said:

If going by size alone a #7 would certainly be a usable size . Bigger question is what style hook ? Sounds to me a hook designed to be fished with bait would be just that . You certainly can tie a fly on any hook but would the fly meet your expectations ? FWIW as for hook size I've tied flies down to #28 . I have 50 # 32's I don't think I'll ever try to tie on . 

For the salt I’d say never less then a #1. And if you ever want to get rid of those #32’s. I know of an 78 year old that ties on em still. Crazy small. 

5 hours ago, Linesidesonthefly said:

For the salt I’d say never less then a #1. And if you ever want to get rid of those #32’s. I know of an 78 year old that ties on em still. Crazy small. 

If I can find the other bag they're all yours ,I do want to keep one because the owner of the shop i bought these from passed away , Was a very good friend of mine.

On 2021-01-17 at 6:59 PM, BrianBM said:

What's the smallest hook size useful, when tying flies for fishing in the NE?

Chark had #7 hooks, a Japanese brand, on sale in closeout. The hooks were a good brand, Daiichi or something. The blurb talked about using them when casting anchovies. I dunno about that, I don't cast anchovies, but I do tie flies. So, does a #7 lend itself to tying for fishing here in the NE?

The only #7 hook that I know of is the beautiful Daiichi Alec Jackson Spey fly hook. It is available in sizes 3/0,1.5, 3, 5 and 7 and in a choice of bronzed, black nickel, gold, silver or blue finish. In the picture, on the left are the #1.5, 3 and five and , on the right, the #7 and to compare it with, a Mustad R-75 #6 (a 5xl hook). 20210119_073505.jpg.cee62c44f15bb5e55a1d0f2726d8cb97.jpg 

Edited by Suave
Omission

Depends. 

Cold water, For trout, I've tied and fished a couple of the TMC size 32's.  Unfortunately, the day I fished them, the sunfish were faster than the trout getting to them and I let them keep the fly when I released them.  The smallest I tie or fish these days are size 20.

Warm water, panfish, bass, etc.  The smallest hooks I use are size 8.  

Salt water,  I've tied small bait fish patterns on size 6.   

On 1/18/2021 at 11:46 PM, Linesidesonthefly said:

I haven't forgot about the hooks . I put the other bag aside so I wouldn't loose them , As usual I can't remember what I did with them.  I'll have more time today and the next couple of days to scrounge around for them, 

Maybe I'm missing something here.  The smallest hooks for what exactly?  As mentioned above there are size 32 hooks out there.  Bear's Den had them years ago.  A french co. manufactured those.  At the time Varivas was making tippet down to 12X 1.2 lb.  I actually caught a few fish at the Swift on that stuff.   As far as salt goes, the Gamakatsu SL45 bonefish hook is made between sizes 4-10.  I've made and fished the #10s to bones,  just because I could.  No need really.  I used the balance of the package on fresh water flies just to use them up. 

As to the why on really diminutive stuff, I avoid it.  You're going to beat up the fish just to prove a point.  Landing a trout on 12X tippet takes a long time, even under the best of circumstances.  Not very sporting. 

I guess the title of the thread is somewhat misleading as BrianBM finished his intoductory statement by "So, does a #7 lend itself to tying for fishing here in the NE?". The answer to that is certainly yes to fish in freshwater for trout or Atlantic salmon, smallmouths, panfish, etc. But, in my view, it's not really a size for saltwater.

That being said BrianBM opened his statement with "What's the smallest hook size useful, when tying flies for fishing in the NE?" That begs the question asked by mostlyfly and a few others: for what species?

My father would tie Royal Coachmen on size 32's only to show them to anyone who spied him catching and asked what he was using....

My father could be a dick...

17 hours ago, Blurple928 said:

These were fun to tie on Size 30!!

BunnyMidge.JPG

What's the going rate for a pack of those ? I like the large eye feature on those and barbless too.

2 hours ago, KidDkivahh said:

What's the going rate for a pack of those ? I like the large eye feature on those and barbless too.

Hey KidDkivahh, Got them from Scott down at the Bear's Den in Taunton, MA. Bought them a while ago but they are $7.95 on his site... You can find them here https://www.bearsden.com/product8747.html

Edited by Blurple928