Fishtale7

One Rig For...

Rate this topic

6 posts in this topic

Retiring soon and heading south. Trying to figure what gear will come with me. Looking for a "one does it all" for the tossing live baits to Tarpon, dropping live baits for bottom fishing; grouper and such, along with the off chance of offshore trips for blackfin, mahi, etc... Would pairing the Daiwa BG 5000 on a Shimano Trevala 6'6"M fit the bill?

Will work for all but the biggest tarpon and all bets are off for the big ass sharks that cruise the waters here.

2 mins ago, reelfire said:

Will work for all but the biggest tarpon and all bets are off for the big ass sharks that cruise the waters here.

Not too concerned with sharks, as they are not the target. Tired of catching sharks, can do that all summer up here in NY. Large tarpon are not the target either, at least I don't thing large. I'm guessing less than or max 100lbs. What's your definition of large tarpon? And what is the weakest link, the BG or the Trevala?

4 mins ago, Fishtale7 said:

Not too concerned with sharks, as they are not the target. Tired of catching sharks, can do that all summer up here in NY. Large tarpon are not the target either, at least I don't thing large. I'm guessing less than or max 100lbs. What's your definition of large tarpon? And what is the weakest link, the BG or the Trevala?

Large tarpon is anything over 100lbs for me.

Snook or reds in the big inlets are going to fight like bass and blues up north and they are same size.

Biggest thing down here is stopping any fish before they take you into the mangroves.

I fish a slammer 3 4500 and 5500.

Only once did I almost get spooled and since I never saw it jump and it broke me off on a bridge pier, I believe it was a big bull shark as they are known to be there.

I think you will be fine with that setup.

13 mins ago, reelfire said:

Large tarpon is anything over 100lbs for me.

Snook or reds in the big inlets are going to fight like bass and blues up north and they are same size.

Biggest thing down here is stopping any fish before they take you into the mangroves.

I fish a slammer 3 4500 and 5500.

Only once did I almost get spooled and since I never saw it jump and it broke me off on a bridge pier, I believe it was a big bull shark as they are known to be there.

I think you will be fine with that setup.

Thanks!! Just the info I was looking for.