bob_G

Robins!

Rate this topic

113 posts in this topic

One thing about screech owls we've learned is they really seem to like the suburbs. All the ones I ever saw or heard were around buildings and people. 

My son who is much more hard-core than me has noticed the same thing. The further out in the woods he goes, the less he finds. His most reliable spot is a ball field surrounded by thin woods in a fairly densely populated town.

The barred are around houses sometimes but not usually in town.

The greathorned and saw whet tend to be more out in the woods.

On 1/17/2021 at 11:06 AM, bob_G said:

My yard has suddenly been invaded by robins.  They're everywhere and into everything.

I counted over 3 dozen in my yard last week, they were everywhere!  Looked like something out of a Hitchcock movie!!

3 mins ago, Twisted said:

I counted over 3 dozen in my yard last week, they were everywhere!  Looked like something out of a Hitchcock movie!!

Same here in Bourne. Everywhere I go around town I see robins flying.  My guess is they're males. They're chasing each other, almost as if they're establishing territory.

It's a good time of year when Robins go bananas and start calling at night...230, 3am. Usually notice them when I'm up and leaving to fish the sunrise. Other nights they just wake me up. Loud and proud, those birds.

My son visited a great horned owl nest today. He had found it last season. It's in an old heron's nest in the middle of a beaver swamp. 

He found the female was already on the nest. He has a good view from a tall hill next to the swamp. Pic was through the birding scope. He was a respectful distance away.

He did get a visit from her hubby. He came in hot to an owl call. He was riled up. Ready to kill any strange owl trespassing. 

image000000(2).jpg

155794266_10159775222813094_3974705520579184021_o.jpg