bob_G

Robins!

Rate this topic

123 posts in this topic

No snowies for us this year. My son went to Plum Island a couple times early in the season and didn't find any. The crowd this year was obnoxious. Over at Salisbury they had so much trouble that they were threatening people with legal charges for harassment of owls.

My son had really good luck with screech owls and saw whet owls this year. He set himself the goal of figuring them out and he got them dialed in.

I believe he's quit for the season to allow them to do their thing unmolested. 

He made this composite of owl eyes from this year. 

152006777_10159749679808094_6765436419606424504_o.jpg

19 hours ago, mikez2 said:

No snowies for us this year. My son went to Plum Island a couple times early in the season and didn't find any. The crowd this year was obnoxious. Over at Salisbury they had so much trouble that they were threatening people with legal charges for harassment of owls.

My son had really good luck with screech owls and saw whet owls this year. He set himself the goal of figuring them out and he got them dialed in.

I believe he's quit for the season to allow them to do their thing unmolested. 

He made this composite of owl eyes from this year. 

152006777_10159749679808094_6765436419606424504_o.jpg

Wow that’s so cool. Would love to see a saw whet! 

Just now, bassturds said:

They're surprisingly easy to find once you know the habitat they prefer. 

Ok, not exactly easy. You still have to be able to call them in, then be able to spot them with a flashlight. 

Basically the trick is, once you're in the right habitat, is to play a recording of their call to get them to respond. Then try and get close enough to spot them.

My son just uses the recording to determine the general area, then he whistles them in. It's pretty cool to hear him "talking" back in forth with the owl while we quietly try to approach and find the bird.

They have a deceptive call which sounds much further away than they really are. 

Now that breeding season is beginning, it's better to leave the owls be, although it's cool to go for a night hike if you have barred or greathorned in the neighborhood. They're loud!

10 mins ago, bassturds said:

Years ago I was in the backyard with the dogs. One of my labs locks up on point, and begins freaking out near the lawnmower which was left out all night.  I tipped the mower on its side, and there sat a saw whet owl.  It flew away, but to this day I can't believe the dog didn't catch it.

9 hours ago, bob_G said:

Years ago I was in the backyard with the dogs. One of my labs locks up on point, and begins freaking out near the lawnmower which was left out all night.  I tipped the mower on its side, and there sat a saw whet owl.  It flew away, but to this day I can't believe the dog didn't catch it.

9 hours ago, mikez2 said:

Ok, not exactly easy. You still have to be able to call them in, then be able to spot them with a flashlight. 

Basically the trick is, once you're in the right habitat, is to play a recording of their call to get them to respond. Then try and get close enough to spot them.

My son just uses the recording to determine the general area, then he whistles them in. It's pretty cool to hear him "talking" back in forth with the owl while we quietly try to approach and find the bird.

Now that breeding season is beginning, it's better to leave the owls be, although it's cool to go for a night hike if you have barred or greathorned in the neighborhood. They're loud!

:th: We find a few Saw-whet  each year, some years better than others, deep snow seems to move them from our area to the river valley.

The Toot .. Toot call is one of the strangest things you'll here in the night woods, the long mournful screech they make is eerie too.

The wife and I were out looking for them on night. After a short walk into a small pond we sat on a rock about a foot apart and began calling with a small bluetooth speaker. Almost instantly, a Saw-whet flew right between our heads....we were about a foot apart.

Gets your attention on a dark night. Perched right next to us and called up a storm for a while.

Cool birds.:)

Barred Owls are our most common around here, but the wife did find this Eastern Screech the other day.

6031ce4dcff94_sowl.jpg.186638d60a2e23d173684214b92c8541.jpg

3 mins ago, Plug and teaser said:

:th: We find a few Saw-whet  each year, some years better than others, deep snow seems to move them from our area to the river valley.

The Toot .. Toot call is one of the strangest things you'll here in the night woods, the long mournful screech they make is eerie too.

The wife and I were out looking for them on night. After a short walk into a small pond we sat on a rock about a foot apart and began calling with a small bluetooth speaker. Almost instantly, a Saw-whet flew right between our heads....we were about a foot apart.

Gets your attention on a dark night. Perched right next to us and called up a storm for a while.

Cool birds.:)

Barred Owls are our most common around here, but the wife did find this Eastern Screech the other day.

6031ce4dcff94_sowl.jpg.186638d60a2e23d173684214b92c8541.jpg

So cool.  I really enjoy your posts. :clap:

19 hours ago, mikez2 said:

I’ve seen and heard lots of great horned screech and barred at night while fishing!  I just listened to their calls. I believe I’ve heard saw whets  in Plymouth fishing! 

Being a turkey hunter, I've had some amazing encounters with owls.   I'm usually in the turkey woods between 330-4am when the owls are real active.  I can't tell you how many times I've listened to owls in the dark, working ridgelines.  The instant I ran a couple soft tree yelps, those owls would find me. Often landing a few scant feet above me, only to begin hooting, growling and barking up a storm.  Really cool birds, and yet another reason to love turkey hunting.  :love:

I'll never forget camping on Washburn Island in Waquoit Bay with a large group of guys from one of the old fly fishing forum.

Everyone was planning to get up pre-dawn to get out and chase albies.

As all of us layed in our tents attempting to sleep, several barred owls started hooting up a storm. In the silence they sounded so loud! I was having a real hard time trying to fall asleep with the noise.

After awhile it was getting frustrating. Apparently I wasn't the only one who felt that way. Suddenly one of the guys shouted "shut the F up!". Was a memorable comic moment.:)

The last few days I've had what appears to be a pine siskin at my suet.  Loves the suet.  I've never had one at our feeders before. Are these birds common?

26 mins ago, bob_G said:

The last few days I've had what appears to be a pine siskin at my suet.  Loves the suet.  I've never had one at our feeders before. Are these birds common?

This year has been a big year for siskins and other finches from the north (crossbills, grossbeaks, redpolls etc). It's a phenomenon known as an "irruption". Similar to when loads of snowy owls come south in big numbers as they did a few years ago. 

Been hearing  a couple Great Horned owls the last few weeks in my neighborhood.  Could be the same ones that evicted and stole a red tails nest last year. Got a pretty close looks at the baby owl as it progressed to flight , then disappeared 

13 hours ago, bdowning said:

Amazing how well the owl blends into that tree hollow. 

They are crazy hard to see unless your really looking. Generally they're absolutely motionless just catching some rays.

We found another today:

6033133e93c21_sixflagsowl1.jpg.604908243a47f2ebec944725eda82310.jpg

Sixflags screech2.jpg

Posted (edited) · Report post

Great shot ! They are so hard to spot I don't think I've knowingly  seen one. But heard them plenty of times.

Edited by bdowning