bob_G

Robins!

Rate this topic

123 posts in this topic

24 mins ago, bob_G said:

Hey, that's a Wild Bill's feeder.  Same one I have.  I paid good $$$ for it. Supposed to be squirrel proof. :shaky:

IMG_20210113_131454.jpg

IMG_20210113_131428.jpg

I got it about 3 years ago and it seems to work pretty well.

That feeder is about 20 feet up and the bracket i made hangs about 3 feet off the tree on  very thin sharp bracket....and still the treerats kept coming.

After i got the wild bill it took about a week and a half before we didnt see them on it anymore, and there is at least one active squirrel nest 25 feet further up the tree......satisfied customer here.

However, this spring I came home from work to find this....

I got all fired up and figured I would add another 9 volt battery and double the jolt. Then I lowered it and discovered the battery died,lol Put in a fresh one and watched rocky become a flying squirrel 45 min later,lol

treerat.jpg

5 mins ago, riggler said:

I got it about 3 years ago and it seems to work pretty well.

That feeder is about 20 feet up and the bracket i made hangs about 3 feet off the tree on  very thin sharp bracket....and still the treerats kept coming.

After i got the wild bill it took about a week and a half before we didnt see them on it anymore, and there is at least one active squirrel nest 25 feet further up the tree......satisfied customer here.

However, this spring I came home from work to find this....

I got all fired up and figured I would add another 9 volt battery and double the jolt. Then I lowered it and discovered the battery died,lol Put in a fresh one and watched rocky become a flying squirrel 45 min later,lol

treerat.jpg

Double the jolt? Is that possible?

I was going to call to check but never did.

If you add another 9v battery in series, you would have 18v. 

I asked a geek type friend if it would work and he said it probably would but he couldnt guarantee it without taking a look at it.

At first when I saw the squirrel this spring in it I was going to do it irreguardless of whether it would hurt it thinking it wasnt working anyway.

Then I checked the battery 

7 mins ago, riggler said:

I was going to call to check but never did.

If you add another 9v battery in series, you would have 18v. 

I asked a geek type friend if it would work and he said it probably would but he couldnt guarantee it without taking a look at it.

At first when I saw the squirrel this spring in it I was going to do it irreguardless of whether it would hurt it thinking it wasnt working anyway.

Then I checked the battery 

My battery is fresh. It beeps three times when I check it.  I've placed my hand on it, to deliberately get the corrective shock.  I felt it but it was no big deal.

The other thing is my tray. If you notice it's bent. One day several squirrels were having their version of the Royal Rumble on it. Next morning the feeder is on the ground, and the tray was bent.   

Mine will give me a good rap with a fresh battery, enough to make me double check that it is off before touching it.

Maybe yours got damaged either by the rumble, or in shipment.

the top connector plug sucks, i used some duct tape to ensure contact.

Cant hurt to give em a call or email ?

If you double the voltage and increase the amps the wiring might not be able to handle it and then you would fry the insulation on the wire from over heating it. it best to put in fresh batteries in most situations. Peace and Prayers

3 hours ago, Angler #1 said:

If you double the voltage and increase the amps the wiring might not be able to handle it and then you would fry the insulation on the wire from over heating it. it best to put in fresh batteries in most situations. Peace and Prayers

There is no real amperage in the system, just voltage. I saw a small capacitor in the wiring, so my theory is with a higher starting voltage you would get a sharper shock.

It does sound like bobg got a lemon unit,  perhaps from the start. Mine definitely lets you know you touched it.  Or perhaps canal treerats are tougher than ct. treerats ?

6 mins ago, riggler said:

There is no real amperage in the system, just voltage. I saw a small capacitor in the wiring, so my theory is with a higher starting voltage you would get a sharper shock.

It does sound like bobg got a lemon unit,  perhaps from the start. Mine definitely lets you know you touched it.  Or perhaps canal treerats are tougher than ct. treerats ?

The cap is used to store the charge which is the amperage being released between the metal and grounding . Like a electric fence I suspect. Now on the other hand increasing the size of the Cap just might increase the zap

Peace and Prayers

12 mins ago, riggler said:

Riggler,

Something I've noticed is that regardless of how many squirrels use the feeder, the batteries never seem to lose strength?   I'm not exaggerating when I say there are times when 3-4 squirrels are on and off that feeder all day. You'd think with that many animals supposedly activating the feeder, the batteries would wear down.  Yet they remain fresh and strong.

I contacted Wild Bill yesterday with an email and photos.  We'll see what they say, or if they even reply.

The best squirrel proof feeder we ever had was a Droll Yankee Flipper.  Bought one for my mom about 20 years ago. 100% squirrel proof.  But Yankee bird feeders priced themselves out of the market.

37 mins ago, bob_G said:

Riggler,

Something I've noticed is that regardless of how many squirrels use the feeder, the batteries never seem to lose strength?   I'm not exaggerating when I say there are times when 3-4 squirrels are on and off that feeder all day. You'd think with that many animals supposedly activating the feeder, the batteries would wear down.  Yet they remain fresh and strong.

I contacted Wild Bill yesterday with an email and photos.  We'll see what they say, or if they even reply.

The best squirrel proof feeder we ever had was a Droll Yankee Flipper.  Bought one for my mom about 20 years ago. 100% squirrel proof.  But Yankee bird feeders priced themselves out of the market.

I cant go a spring and summer on one battery, that much  im sure of.

Id say 3 battery changes a year. This feeder goes through about 60 lbs. a year.

Your call on suet and rats is spot on, been living here since 1988 and never had a problem until I got suet in the mix a year ago. I stopped everything for 3 months over the summer and now just regular quality seed that doesnt get culled out and thrown to the ground to encourage scavenger feeders, so far so good 

I do hope you people realize that giving a squirrel an electric shock is called animal cruelty................  Killing a squirrel outside of hunting season is called poaching.............

Posted (edited) · Report post

3 mins ago, b-ware said:

I do hope you people realize that giving a squirrel an electric shock is called animal cruelty................  Killing a squirrel outside of hunting season is called poaching.............

Bernie you know my name and address.  I'm sure you can find someone to turn me in.  :laugh:

Edited by bob_G

14 mins ago, bob_G said:

Bernie you know my name and address.  I'm sure you can find someone to turn me in.  :laugh:

Ya but I want to be there...................

34 mins ago, bob_G said:

Don't you guys have squirrels in Mayberry?

Yes we do, but, we feed them seperately with whole kernel corn on the cob or a commercial squirrel feed.  

PS the squirrel feed and yum yums are in the wildlife feed aisel at Wally World right between the deer feed and the turkey feed.....................