bob_G

Robins!

Rate this topic

113 posts in this topic

On 1/17/2021 at 2:29 PM, b-ware said:

We have had them all winter, this was from a couple of weeks ago.  I would love to get a shot of the bluebirds with snow as a backdrop...........

Unstable with issues....

DSC_0672 (1).JPG

None over here Bernie.

Cabo

On 1/17/2021 at 1:52 PM, bob_G said:

Now that Biden's in office we'll be probably see more bluebirds.

If this thread gets political I’m moving it to the PG

We haven't had any Robins around here in months, but we've had a conclave of Cardinals in ourbackyard since mid fall. Them and the 5 Blue Jays empty our 3 feeders in a day and a half. We've also had a new addition this year, a Red Bellied Woodpecker that stops by about once a week.  First time we've had one.  

woodpecker.jpg

We have a few bluebirds still coming back to the feeder daily.  Need to put up a few more houses this year.

This is the first year I’ve seen them stay over.

14 hours ago, ne_dan said:

We haven't had any Robins around here in months, but we've had a conclave of Cardinals in ourbackyard since mid fall. Them and the 5 Blue Jays empty our 3 feeders in a day and a half. We've also had a new addition this year, a Red Bellied Woodpecker that stops by about once a week.  First time we've had one.  

woodpecker.jpg

I think if you put out suet cakes you're red belly visits will increase.   We have several seed feeders, but the red bellies only go to our suet. Along with downy, hairy, and flickers.

Posted (edited) · Report post

WE us the suet from the market all year and we get a multitude of bird varieties . We see all sorts of Wood peckers,Flickers, wrens,blue birds occasional, With sparrows and such.  You can get enough beef suet to last a couple of weeks for less money than the suit cakes you buy in the store  Peace and Prayers I forgot to mention one bird that we all enjoy watching and that is the chickadee

Edited by Angler #1

15 hours ago, ne_dan said:

woodpecker.jpg

Beautiful bird!  Always struck me as an odd name when the head and nape are red while the “belly” is not....

I have never seen so many Robins and Blue Jays as i have this year. Flocks of them in the yard every day.  Also many of the woodpeckers shown above. Must be the moderate temps becuase i never remember seeing this many birds mid winter. Usually just the small birds that dont migrate

2 hours ago, Angler #1 said:

WE us the suet from the market all year and we get a multitude of bird varieties . 

That's precisely why you're getting rats.  The birds, gray squirrels, red squirrels and raccoons bite that stuff off and drop big chunks of fat on the ground. Which in turn sets up a feeding station for Norwegian rats.

1 hour ago, bob_G said:

That's precisely why you're getting rats.  The birds, gray squirrels, red squirrels and raccoons bite that stuff off and drop big chunks of fat on the ground. Which in turn sets up a feeding station for Norwegian rats.

Bob that problem has been taken care . Have not seen one in some time now. Peace and Prayers

Robins showed up yesterday here as well. Maybe all the Baltimore Orioles will come back soon, lol. They all left September 6 this year.

The nuthatches are real nice, so are the Carolina wrens.  i have pairs of the four diff species of woodpeckers Bob mentioned earlier. 

Should i put up some bluebird houses now i wonder? Haven’t seen any this past year.

Posted (edited) · Report post

53 mins ago, riggler said:

This guy stopped in at my feeder yesterday

snobrd.jpg

Hey, that's a Wild Bill's feeder.  Same one I have.  I paid good $$$ for it. Supposed to be squirrel proof. :shaky:

IMG_20210113_131454.jpg

IMG_20210113_131428.jpg

Edited by bob_G