bob_G

Robins!

Rate this topic

113 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

3 mins ago, bob_G said:

Bernie,

Why does your bluebird house have a rectangular entrance as opposed to a traditional round one?

He copied that from the Ravenox design.....suppose to be sparrow resistant.:laugh:

Edited by Joe G

Even here in Western Ma. at about 1000 ft.  Robins and Blue Birds can always be seen all winter..... in good numbers if your looking.

Down In the Ct. river valley, Red-winged Blackbirds are very common all winter too. We saw several yesterday.

The bluebird house design was adapted from a book by Paul Meisel and Stephen Moss.  The feeder was a design I saw online by a fellow named Peterson and I built it from memory.

I have also posted a picture of a feeder that seems to work very well for all kinds of birds and a picture of a generic bird house that I have mounted under the eves of my house and shop.  They also have a rectangular opening........

DSC_0686.JPG

DSC_0685.JPG

DSC_0684.JPG

2 mins ago, b-ware said:

The bluebird house design was adapted from a book by Paul Meisel and Stephen Moss.  The feeder was a design I saw online by a fellow named Peterson and I built it from memory.

I have also posted a picture of a feeder that seems to work very well for all kinds of birds and a picture of a generic bird house that I have mounted under the eves of my house and shop.  They also have a rectangular opening........

DSC_0686.JPG

DSC_0685.JPG

DSC_0684.JPG

And none of them are for sale?

4 mins ago, bob_G said:

And none of them are for sale?

Bob,, you are retired, living like a hermit,and spending way to much time doing what..............  These projects are not hard and all you need is a minimum amount of hand tools.

Surprise us with your hidden talents...Maybe Joe G could help you (he has Alexa you know)....

1 min ago, b-ware said:

Bob,, you are retired, living like a hermit,and spending way to much time doing what..............  These projects are not hard and all you need is a minimum amount of hand tools.

Surprise us with your hidden talents...Maybe Joe G could help you (he has Alexa you know)....

Bernie,

It's not that, I have some hobbies to keep me occupied.

But I like buying things from people I know.  Plus, I'm really into birds and bird houses.

5 hours ago, bob_G said:

Canadian robins huh?  First the geese, and now damn robins. :dismay:

Snow birds. The people go to Florida; the birds come to New England.

I remember here in CT  we'd call each other when one of us saw the first Robin of the year.  Usually mid to late February.  Now we see them all winter.

When the red red robins come bob bob bobing along during the warm days of winter, where they come out in search of food and the turkeys go back in the woods hiding/

Peace and prayers

16 hours ago, b-ware said:

Well Einstein, that is not a bluebird house, it's a feeder (the giveaway is the seeds and mealworms inside).  A bluebird house is pictured below, the one painted blue with an orange roof....

DSC_0681.JPG

Bernie one time early on after moving here we had a group of Blue birds that stayed with us for several days. I had a house similar to the one you show except it has a round hole . It was amazing to see over 11 birds stack into the house overnight and if they were not in the right pecking order they were chased back out. The last one in, had the job of being the door man, with some of its body sticking out in the cold night. We took a video of the birds the next morning leaving and then coming back that night for another stay . It seems like we have a few bird watchers around here . 

Wake up you sleepy head wake up, when the red ,red ,red robin comes bob, bob bobbin along we often would sing when we were out starting our day along the ditch and spot a robin pecking in the grass. Peace and Prayers