bob_G

Robins!

Rate this topic

113 posts in this topic

12 mins ago, bob_G said:

My yard has suddenly been invaded by robins.  They're everywhere and into everything.

They were in my yard yesterday eating small red berries 

Those are robins that have migrated south, perhaps from Canada. While I was hiking a trail in RI this morning,  I saw a flock of them feeding on small purple berries that grow in clusters. Then again, this winter hasn’t been very cold.

46 mins ago, dickd said:

Those are robins that have migrated south, perhaps from Canada. While I was hiking a trail in RI this morning,  I saw a flock of them feeding on small purple berries that grow in clusters. Then again, this winter hasn’t been very cold.

Canadian robins huh?  First the geese, and now damn robins. :dismay:

I’ve had a small flock of Robbins hanging out in the yard for most of the winter. But what really took me back was the week between Christmas and new year’s I had 4 blue birds. Hung around for a day or two. With the recent trend of warmer winters. Going forward this might be the new norm.

24 mins ago, Bwstriper44 said:

I’ve had a small flock of Robbins hanging out in the yard for most of the winter. But what really took me back was the week between Christmas and new year’s I had 4 blue birds. Hung around for a day or two. With the recent trend of warmer winters. Going forward this might be the new norm.

Now that Biden's in office we'll be probably see more bluebirds.

Blue birds have always wintered here in Northern Middlesex County. They often roost at night in the same bird boxes they nested in during Spring.  They also hang out in beaver swamps because they nest and roost in holes in dead trees. If you have crab apples or winter berries you'll see them every winter.

I just saw blue birds today. They were foraging in a place that was absolutely red with winter berries last few winters. There are none this year.

Robins winter here more often than they used to, but I agree waves of migrants also come down from the north.

You'll see them more if you have the crab apples, winter berries or other berries that persist into winter.

We have had them all winter, this was from a couple of weeks ago.  I would love to get a shot of the bluebirds with snow as a backdrop...........

Unstable with issues....

DSC_0672 (1).JPG

19 mins ago, mikez2 said:

Blue birds have always wintered here in Northern Middlesex County. They often roost at night in the same bird boxes they nested in during Spring.  They also hang out in beaver swamps because they nest and roost in holes in dead trees. If you have crab apples or winter berries you'll see them every winter.

I just saw blue birds today. They were foraging in a place that was absolutely red with winter berries last few winters. There are none this year.

Robins winter here more often than they used to, but I agree waves of migrants also come down from the north.

You'll see them more if you have the crab apples, winter berries or other berries that persist into winter.

I’m a little farther west of Middlesex county. 

5 mins ago, b-ware said:

We have had them all winter, this was from a couple of weeks ago.  I would love to get a shot of the bluebirds with snow as a backdrop...........

Unstable with issues....

DSC_0672 (1).JPG

Any problem understanding those unique blue bird house dimensions? 

5 mins ago, Joe G said:

Any problem understanding those unique blue bird house dimensions? 

Well Einstein, that is not a bluebird house, it's a feeder (the giveaway is the seeds and mealworms inside).  A bluebird house is pictured below, the one painted blue with an orange roof....

DSC_0681.JPG

2 mins ago, b-ware said:

Well Einstein, that is not a bluebird house, it's a feeder (the giveaway is the seeds and mealworms inside).  A bluebird house is pictured below, the one painted blue with an orange roof....

DSC_0681.JPG

Bernie,

Why does your bluebird house have a rectangular entrance as opposed to a traditional round one?