RedGreen

Torque 5 issue - eligible for service?

14 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

Hey Tony, question for you. 

Yesterday the bearing at the base of the pinion of my torque 5 literally exploded, there were loose balls and parts inside the gearbox. I cleaned it all out, replaced the bearing with an OEM one, and found the reel extremely geary, like several of the teeth had been severely damaged from the shrapnel. 

Can I still send the reel in for servicing/new gears despite having opened it up and attempted servicing myself?

Edited by RedGreen

Hi Red Green,

Feel free to send the reel in for service, just know that the 1 year warranty (if applicable) is voided when the reel is self-serviced. 

tony

Posted (edited) · Report post

8 hours ago, PENN Fishing said:

Hi Red Green,

Feel free to send the reel in for service, just know that the 1 year warranty (if applicable) is voided when the reel is self-serviced. 

tony

Does that mean I'll be charged for the servicing or that my warranty is just voided?

Edited by RedGreen

18 mins ago, PENN Fishing said:

Hi RedGreen,

Is this a Torque 1 or Torque 2 and when was it purchased?

tony

Tony, 

It's a bailed torque I bought here off a guy in Clearwater, brand new in box with blank warranty card 

On 1/17/2021 at 8:43 AM, RedGreen said:

Yesterday the bearing at the base of the pinion of my torque 5 literally exploded, there were loose balls and parts inside the gearbox. 

Pics?

Can't say I've ever seen that one before.  Clutches yeah...but a bearing.....

1 hour ago, scoobydoo said:

Pics?

Can't say I've ever seen that one before.  Clutches yeah...but a bearing.....

It's been a few days so I had to look a bit but here's some of the parts. The mangled retainer, inner race (3 pcs) and some of the balls. Couldn't find the outer race nor rest of the balls in my garbage but I think I've made my point and proven myself honest. 

IMG_20210121_133318323.jpg.426d27572188a93d6b92373c43290963.jpg

1 hour ago, RedGreen said:

It's been a few days so I had to look a bit but here's some of the parts. The mangled retainer, inner race (3 pcs) and some of the balls. Couldn't find the outer race nor rest of the balls in my garbage but I think I've made my point and proven myself honest. 

Wasn't asking for proof brotha... I ain't never seen that.... I didn't want to say that's Fuggin awesome bucause it sucks that it's gonna cost ya.  But that's pretty cool... Wonder what caused that? 

2 hours ago, RedGreen said:

What caused that? What were you doing when the pinion bearing exploded? I have two 5s and I'm curious.

12 mins ago, RockRonin said:

What caused that? What were you doing when the pinion bearing exploded? I have two 5s and I'm curious.

I was fishing. Drag probably around 20 lbs fighting 20-25lb crevalles. I think it seized then broke apart. Thankfully the grease kept the shrapnel from reaching the majority of the gear teeth while fishing so the reel was mostly usable. I really don't know. I'm baffled too. This is the first time this reel has seen this kind of stress. My bailess torque which I've used a lot has been fine so far. I used it earlier that day on 10-15lbers from shore, the big boys were only accessible from a boat.

On 1/21/2021 at 3:58 PM, RedGreen said:

I was fishing. Drag probably around 20 lbs fighting 20-25lb crevalles. I think it seized then broke apart. Thankfully the grease kept the shrapnel from reaching the majority of the gear teeth while fishing so the reel was mostly usable. I really don't know. I'm baffled too. This is the first time this reel has seen this kind of stress. My bailess torque which I've used a lot has been fine so far. I used it earlier that day on 10-15lbers from shore, the big boys were only accessible from a boat.

Poor man's GT. Jacks can put a hurting on your gear, I'd be interested in hearing how the bailed five does in the rematch once it's fixed. I have one of each, the biggest thing I've caught on either of them is a 30# striper which was like nothing for the reel.

12 mins ago, RockRonin said:

Poor man's GT. Jacks can put a hurting on your gear, I'd be interested in hearing how the bailed five does in the rematch once it's fixed. I have one of each, the biggest thing I've caught on either of them is a 30# striper which was like nothing for the reel.

If I can get a rematch I'll post about what happens. Yeah a 30# striper pulls about like an 8-10lb jack, they're just heavier. The torque should be easily able to handle it, might have been a fluke with a really awful bearing or something. I landed a bunch of 10-15lbers earlier than day on my bailess torque which was expectedly unaffected. 

i have a torque 5 first gen that this bearing failed on as well. it's kinda a cheap bearing.  different from the other bearings . i did not have any other damage.

note: i am not complaining. this has been my go to surf reel for 6 years or so. i expect a bit of maintenance on any piece of equipment.  

yes on the jacks. great fighters.