Angler #1

Taking a break

Rate this topic

33 posts in this topic

this morning at my local shellfish area . So far I have been filling my basket since it opened with some nice quahogs along with a few oysters. What has really amazed me is the numbers My friend and I are filling the basket with . Very few stuffers and the count is from 150 to 175. I used the extra ones to supply my  medical doctors  over these past weeks as a special thank you for the help they continue to give me through out the year . On Wednesday it will be back to Barnstable for some Oysters, Both programs in Sandwich and Barnstable are producing well for all of us that have permits and it is nice to get a little help carrying the hogs out of the water by the game wardens and the Three wheeler really helps with the Oysters. Peace and prayers 

Just now, Angler #1 said:

this morning at my local shellfish area . So far I have been filling my basket since it opened with some nice quahogs along with a few oysters. What has really amazed me is the numbers My friend and I are filling the basket with . Very few stuffers and the count is from 150 to 175. I used the extra ones to supply my  medical doctors  over these past weeks as a special thank you for the help they continue to give me through out the year . On Wednesday it will be back to Barnstable for some Oysters, Both programs in Sandwich and Barnstable are producing well for all of us that have permits and it is nice to get a little help carrying the hogs out of the water by the game wardens and the Three wheeler re earally helps with the Oysters. Peace and prayers 

Glad to hear the good news, good eats in Carl's circle of family and friends today. Wish it were me. Enjoy.

2 hours ago, Highlander1 said:

Glad to hear the good news, good eats in Carl's circle of family and friends today. Wish it were me. Enjoy.

One thing I try to do each year is provide a nice meal of shellfish or fish to all of my doctors and nurses. It keeps the family atmosphere alive and well. Should you find your way down this way I would be more then willing to provide you with a nice bag of shellfish, vacuum packed to take back home. Peace and Prayers

Posted (edited) · Report post

14 hours ago, Angler #1 said:

One thing I try to do each year is provide a nice meal of shellfish or fish to all of my doctors and nurses. It keeps the family atmosphere alive and well. Should you find your way down this way I would be more then willing to provide you with a nice bag of shellfish, vacuum packed to take back home. Peace and Prayers

Hope all is well. With any luck this will all be over and we'll be able to share a coffee again next time I'm back around the cape. :howdy:

Edited by Sandbar1

6 hours ago, Sandbar1 said:

Hope all is well. With any luck this will all be over and we'll be able to share a coffee again next time I'm back around the cape. :howdy:

That would be great my friend and who knows we all might be in a better place Peace and Prayers

On 1/17/2021 at 7:14 AM, Angler #1 said:

.... ... the count is from 150 to 175.... 

Carl, curious......at that size, can you just eyeball the size and not actually measure them and still be assured they are legal?

1 hour ago, Joe G said:

Carl, curious......at that size, can you just eyeball the size and not actually measure them and still be assured they are legal?

Generally after I measure a couple when i first start, on those that  look to small , I get a good idea. I use my board to spread them out before inserting in the basket. when I get them home I start of with the largest first and work down to the smaller ones and separate them. We are allowed 5 percent of the catch to be non legal or 5 in a hundred do not have to not go through the gauge. However having said that sometimes when I turn my rake over on the board where I cull them , some times smaller ones roll into the basket that I do not see. So far I have been able to keep my non legals ones below the 5 percent limit s we are allowed as I make every attempt to make sure I cull out the smaller ones without measuring. My hands get to a point where my fingers get hard to move making the smaller one harder to pick up and measure with the gauge . That is why when I get home I measure  every one I question. So far each week gets better then the last as I am shooting for zero sub legal if at all possible. I have still been below my 5 percent allowed ,

peace and prayers

33 mins ago, Angler #1 said:

Generally after I measure a couple when i first start, on those that  look to small , I get a good idea. I use my board to spread them out before inserting in the basket. when I get them home I start of with the largest first and work down to the smaller ones and separate them. We are allowed 5 percent of the catch to be non legal or 5 in a hundred do not have to not go through the gauge. However having said that sometimes when I turn my rake over on the board where I cull them , some times smaller ones roll into the basket that I do not see. So far I have been able to keep my non legals ones below the 5 percent limit s we are allowed as I make every attempt to make sure I cull out the smaller ones without measuring. My hands get to a point where my fingers get hard to move making the smaller one harder to pick up and measure with the gauge . That is why when I get home I measure  every one I question. So far each week gets better then the last as I am shooting for zero sub legal if at all possible. I have still been below my 5 percent allowed ,

peace and prayers

Yes, depending on the town you're in, you're allowed to take 3-5% seed (undersized) as part of your catch. However, even though your allowed to take 3-5% seed as part of your overall catch, you're still legally obligated to measure your shellfish at the time of harvest, and not once you get home.  That's spelled out clearly in all regs.   I dug a beautiful limit of quahogs recently, and there wasn't a single undersized one since I measure them all as required. :)

Edited by bob_G

Culling Racks

We offer a wide assortment of culling racks in either aluminum or stainless. They are available in either the “speed” models to snap into a legal tote or fish box, or the threaded models, complete with hardware to fit into a wooden frame. You can also order a custom model, to your specifications if what you need is not available in a stock model.

From Ribb Rakes

24 mins ago, FizzyFish said:

Culling Racks

We offer a wide assortment of culling racks in either aluminum or stainless. They are available in either the “speed” models to snap into a legal tote or fish box, or the threaded models, complete with hardware to fit into a wooden frame. You can also order a custom model, to your specifications if what you need is not available in a stock model.

From Ribb Rakes

I've seen those, and like all your products, are well made.  But in Bourne, a recreational shell fisherman is required to use a one peck wire basket.  So a culling rack probably won't be appropriate. 

You can also order a custom model, to your specifications if what you need is not available in a stock model.

Edited by FizzyFish

2 mins ago, FizzyFish said:

You can also order a custom model, to your specifications if what you need is not available in a stock model.

there are many ways to mount one to empty into a peck wire basket , if you really needed to.

Didn't know you guys sold one that was adapted to a peck basket.  Thanks for bringing me up to speed. :)

Just now, bob_G said:

Didn't know you guys sold one that was adapted to a peck basket.  Thanks for bringing me up to speed. :)

Bob, I'm not part of Ribb Rakes, was just quoting from their website.  Just saying if there is a will or need there is always a  way.  :D They could be culled in shallow water just before you leave the water.

1 min ago, FizzyFish said:

Bob, I'm not part of Ribb Rakes, was just quoting from their website.  Just saying if there is a will or need there is always a  way.  :D They could be culled in shallow water just before you leave the water.

Ok, my error.  But rather than going through the expense of a culling rack, why not simply use your town issued shellfish gauge?