snooker

Black Hole Striper Special 9' 2"

Rate this topic

34 posts in this topic

I want to make a light rod that can take 30 lb. test line and handle tarpon on the beach.  I'll be pairing it with a Van Staal VSX150 reel.  I am between the Black Hole Striper Special 9' 2" and the ODM Frontier X 9' 6" blanks.  I would like my setup to be light but powerful.  I'll probably be throwing lures of no more than 2.5 ounces.  If anyone could comment on how these blanks would handle really big fish on the Florida beach, that would be great.

Posted (edited) · Report post

21 mins ago, Steve_M said:

I’m sure the black hole is a nice rod but the ODM frontier X is an incredible rod. It throws great and the backbone is outstanding. 

The black hole striper special are incredible rods as well. Many more tarpons were caught with the BH than the ODM rods. 

Edited by levari

I’m sure it would handle it as long as The Reel has enough line like any other rod and reel that size. One of my buddy caught one on hid nex1 but he likes his frontier better. I don’t think he could go wrong with either one. I have a few black hole rods in other models and they hold up to what they are rated for

Edited by Steve_M

I would recommend making sure the vsx150 is good for this. Last time I caught tarpon, drag and line cap were important. 

I actually happen to own both rods but I’ve never fished for tarpon. I think the ODM is a better general purpose rods for northeast striper fishing. Having said that, the BlackHole has more backbone so if beefiness is what you are looking for, the BlackHole is a better bet. 

1 hour ago, snooker said:

Miami

If you ever head north you could try mine. I'll be at the sol florida meet up in Feb you could try it there. I live just south of daytona.

3 hours ago, reelfire said:

If you ever head north you could try mine. I'll be at the sol florida meet up in Feb you could try it there. I live just south of daytona.

Same day you can throw my Century Stealth S2 1326 which took a 100+ pound tarpon in the surf a couple years back. 

9'2" Striper rod is really light rod for inshore.  I recommend 9'6" Black Hole Striper for big tarpon.

There is a picture of nice tarpon using 9'6' Black Hole Striper in Texas  The Texas regulations for tarpon is different from Fl. They even allow to keep one.

IMG_1164(1).jpg

Edited by ksong

12 hours ago, HKJonathan said:

I actually happen to own both rods but I’ve never fished for tarpon. I think the ODM is a better general purpose rods for northeast striper fishing. Having said that, the BlackHole has more backbone so if beefiness is what you are looking for, the BlackHole is a better bet. 

So, the Black Hole is the beefier rod.  It is also my understanding it may be the lighter rod.  Is this true?

One last question about action.  Which would you say is the faster rod?