FishNorthShore

AYC source LI

Rate this topic

13 posts in this topic

Hello all, 

I hope I’m not breaking any rules, I’m just looking for an AYC source on Long Island? I went to one today and just got ripped off. Any help would be great and if you have prices

Posted (edited) · Report post

Try Bert Lumber in huntington...if they dont have it they can order it an are pretty friendly about discussing wood for our purposes. Quite a nice business actually with a ton of exotic wood to pick through.  Last I checked they had or could order ayc 

Edited by DeepBlue85

18 mins ago, DeepBlue85 said:

Try Bert Lumber in huntington...if they dont have it they can order it an are pretty friendly about discussing wood for our purposes. Quite a nice business actually with a ton of exotic wood to pick through.  Last I checked they had or could order ayc 

Thanks man I really appreciate it

5 hours ago, FishNorthShore said:

Hello all, 

I hope I’m not breaking any rules, I’m just looking for an AYC source on Long Island? I went to one today and just got ripped off. Any help would be great and if you have prices

Very curious how ya got ripped off ??? 

2 hours ago, DeepBlue85 said:

What kinda exotic hardwoods ya seen there ? I’ve been hunting and other then finding old wood turners that have hoards  and willing to let alil go , I been really coming up empty here 

Alot of different stuff, to be honest I'm not entirely sure exactly what some of it was aside from it being from Africa.  Lots of 2x2 genuine mahogany and anything else youd want like maple birch pine an ceder species.  Its a big yard ya gotta walk around an look at their inventory may he different now but picking through all of it is alot of fun in its self.

Edited by DeepBlue85

1 hour ago, Wire For Fire said:

Very curious how ya got ripped off ??? 

What kinda exotic hardwoods ya seen there ? I’ve been hunting and other then finding old wood turners that have hoards  and willing to let alil go , I been really coming up empty here 

I ended up paying 60 for a 2x6 by 6 feet

27 mins ago, FishNorthShore said:

Ya that’s alil on the high side for sure . Figure that Like 27 1.5x1.5x8” blanks which gets like 2$ a blank so it’s not completely terrible . Is it at least nice and clear ?  

Personally I hunt for balusters whenever possible , one cause it’s easier not having to rip anything down and less waste . Two large dimension lumber specially  when ya get into hardwoods and less common stuff , gets way  more pricey cause most people aren’t ripping them up to 1.5” they paying a premium for a harder to find piece cause they need a large piece for whatever the project 

1 hour ago, DeepBlue85 said:

Alot of different stuff, to be honest I'm not entirely sure exactly what some of it was aside from it being from Africa.  Lots of 2x2 genuine mahogany and anything else youd want like maple birch pine an ceder species.  Its a big yard ya gotta walk around an look at their inventory may he different now but picking through all of it is alot of fun in its self.

Cool thanks I’m gonna look it up and go peep it . Sounds like a good time 

38 mins ago, Wire For Fire said:

Ya that’s alil on the high side for sure . Figure that Like 27 1.5x1.5x8” blanks which gets like 2$ a blank so it’s not completely terrible . Is it at least nice and clear ?  

Personally I hunt for balusters whenever possible , one cause it’s easier not having to rip anything down and less waste . Two large dimension lumber specially  when ya get into hardwoods and less common stuff , gets way  more pricey cause most people aren’t ripping them up to 1.5” they paying a premium for a harder to find piece cause they need a large piece for whatever the project 

Yeah for sure I’m giving them a call on Monday but if you hear anything before please update us

Ya gotta break it down to board feet to know if the price being offered is reasonable or not.  There are calculators on the web to make your life easier.  For the record, most lumber yards will negotiate a little if you're buying enough. (enough being relative to the yard and their inventory) - in your case 2x6's are easy.  1 lf = 1 bf.  So you paid $10/bf.  That's definitely on the high side of retail but it's not outrageous.  I recently cut a deal for 12, 4x4x8 clear AYC posts for $700 which pans out to $5.45 per bf. However, If you get to RI, I think Liberty Cedar has the best deal for their 2x2 balusters.  What really makes Liberty the best deal that I've found in the region is that the blanks are already to size and are square.  All that you need to do is to cut the lengths for your blanks.  Those 4x4's of mine are going to create l lot of excess labor and even setting my contractor-quality table saw with a square, they always are a smidge off making the use of the square ends after turning another variable to consider when using the square ends as any sort of datum.  I may try to find a mill that will quarter them for me for a reasonable price instead of burning out what's left of my 30 year old saw.

1 hour ago, H'Islander said:

Ya gotta break it down to board feet to know if the price being offered is reasonable or not.  There are calculators on the web to make your life easier.  For the record, most lumber yards will negotiate a little if you're buying enough. (enough being relative to the yard and their inventory) - in your case 2x6's are easy.  1 lf = 1 bf.  So you paid $10/bf.  That's definitely on the high side of retail but it's not outrageous.  I recently cut a deal for 12, 4x4x8 clear AYC posts for $700 which pans out to $5.45 per bf. However, If you get to RI, I think Liberty Cedar has the best deal for their 2x2 balusters.  What really makes Liberty the best deal that I've found in the region is that the blanks are already to size and are square.  All that you need to do is to cut the lengths for your blanks.  Those 4x4's of mine are going to create l lot of excess labor and even setting my contractor-quality table saw with a square, they always are a smidge off making the use of the square ends after turning another variable to consider when using the square ends as any sort of datum.  I may try to find a mill that will quarter them for me for a reasonable price instead of burning out what's left of my 30 year old saw.

I’m on Long Island so it would be a bit away from me to go that route but I’m fortunate enough to have a friend with a large table saw in his warehouse but despite that it was more labor intensive than I would care for at that price, I guess it’s a supply and demand thing I’m not sulking over the price too much but would just rather a better source, more than the price the owner was just a little rude and that usually turns me away. I rather a good relation with a supplier to be honest. The combination of high price and bad service don’t mix well in any business. I appreciate the info!

On 1/16/2021 at 11:28 PM, FishNorthShore said:

$10 a board foot is what you will typically find in NY. Was it true 2x6? Also note that lumber prices have been shooting through the roof recently.

Edited by lazzyone