Captain Tuttle

PowerStop Z36

10 posts in this topic

A front caliper very noticeably seized on my 4Runner, again.  Due to the difficulty of getting mechanics to believe that 4th Gen 4Runner front calipers need to be changed every two years, I decided to take this on myself.  I replaced my standard rotors and ceramic brake pads with PowerStop Z36 slotted and drilled rotors and metallic break pads.  Everything is working fine.  PowerStop warns you about the additional noise of slotted rotors and metallic breaks but breaking went from no noise to the sound of lava rocks being dragged across a chalkboard.  

Is it possible to reduce noise with different pads? Suggestions? Experiences?

1 hour ago, Captain Tuttle said:

A front caliper very noticeably seized on my 4Runner, again.  Due to the difficulty of getting mechanics to believe that 4th Gen 4Runner front calipers need to be changed every two years, I decided to take this on myself.  I replaced my standard rotors and ceramic brake pads with PowerStop Z36 slotted and drilled rotors and metallic break pads.  Everything is working fine.  PowerStop warns you about the additional noise of slotted rotors and metallic breaks but breaking went from no noise to the sound of lava rocks being dragged across a chalkboard.  

Is it possible to reduce noise with different pads? Suggestions? Experiences?

I’ve used their brakes on a few vehicles and never had any noticeable noise. Are you sure everything is installed correctly? Did you break the pads in by doing a bunch of hard braking without coming to a complete stop progressively faster up to around 50mph?

I used Powerstop  Evolution kit on my Gx470 which shares the same undersized design as your 4Runner . Did them in Aug 2019. I had one caliper sticking which I cleaned up and lubricated. 40k miles on them so far with lots of NY city driving . No noise and good performance . I purposely avoided drilled and slotted both for noise and reduced life of components. For $125 you could change your fronts to same kit and probably eliminate the noise. 

2 hours ago, z-man said:

I’ve used their brakes on a few vehicles and never had any noticeable noise. Are you sure everything is installed correctly? Did you break the pads in by doing a bunch of hard braking without coming to a complete stop progressively faster up to around 50mph?

Installed correctly, Yes.  Breaking in the pads, mostly Yes.  I can't get out of the neighborhood without coming to a complete stop.  I did notice that the noise is far less noticeable stopping at high speeds.  I did 20 to 10, 30 to 10, 40 to 20.  Today, I went 55 to 20 a few times and there was very little noise.  Crawling around the city is a different story. 

Did you use the combination of slotted and drilled rotors with Metalic breaks?   

2 hours ago, connman said:

I used Powerstop  Evolution kit on my Gx470 which shares the same undersized design as your 4Runner . Did them in Aug 2019. I had one caliper sticking which I cleaned up and lubricated. 40k miles on them so far with lots of NY city driving . No noise and good performance . I purposely avoided drilled and slotted both for noise and reduced life of components. For $125 you could change your fronts to same kit and probably eliminate the noise. 

I will likely put the old rotor and ceramic pads back on to see the difference,  They looked fine, it was the rebuilt calipers that got rusted and stuck.  Have you thought about the 5th Gen front calipers and rotors?  Supposedly they last a long time.  Bigger components and better stopping power. 

I had slight pulling issue when I did my brakes and knowing the history of these brakes suspected a sticking caliper . I pulled the wheel and saw that it was a gummed up slide pin but by then the wear on pads and rotor was sufficient to warrant new rotor and pads. I bought this GX a with 95k miles on it. The rest of the caliper was in good shape so I cleaned up pins and reused. I drive through Manhattan , Queens and Brooklyn daily and experience frequency emergency stops on Belt Parkway due to the pleasant nature of NY drivers. The stock brakes does the job for me. If I was a more aggressive driver then the gen5 upgrade might be useful but so far the stock has been sufficient and unless you have a V8 4Runner my vehicle is probably heavier then yours. 
I have 60k miles on mine since purchase and once I am looking at new tires may do mild lift and bigger tires so at that point the gen5 upgrade might happen. However I do like the ride control and air suspension so I can’t get too radical with the changes and keep some of that.

3 hours ago, Captain Tuttle said:

Installed correctly, Yes.  Breaking in the pads, mostly Yes.  I can't get out of the neighborhood without coming to a complete stop.  I did notice that the noise is far less noticeable stopping at high speeds.  I did 20 to 10, 30 to 10, 40 to 20.  Today, I went 55 to 20 a few times and there was very little noise.  Crawling around the city is a different story. 

Did you use the combination of slotted and drilled rotors with Metalic breaks?   

I always replace with slotted rotors when the stocks wear out (jeeps, Subarus and currently on my Tacoma) Never had any issues. Let them break in more and see if they quite down. They probably will. Also some pads have a special break in coating on them. Not sure if yours had that. 

Update.  After 4 days, it is clear that a bad brake pad is to blame.  It has scored the rotor deeply.  The rotor had more groves than a Parliament L.P.