RAW

Rubber eel tubes in the surf?

67 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Bluefishmaster said:

RAW, will these work in freshwater?

PSegnatelli, I believed this is what everyone is talking about. The jig head you have resembles ones from alou eel and other wobble heads for placing an eel or other plastics.

The Bait tail with a surgical tube (These are not my images but from other SOL members. ).

0E990993-BE19-44E6-ACB8-F81D53B39CF9.jpeg

newbtail.jpg

To me that looks near perfect.  

Sure you can mess around with different cuts & lengths on the tube. But the concept itself is intriguing.  

Just a simple setup with minimal fuss.  Few jigs. Few feet of tubing. Done!  

Add some metals, couple bucktails.  A topwater or 2. 

What more does one need??

1 hour ago, Bluefishmaster said:

PSegnatelli, I believed this is what everyone is talking about. The jig head you have resembles ones from alou eel and other wobble heads for placing an eel or other plastics.

The Bait tail with a surgical tube (These are not my images but from other SOL members. ).

newbtail.jpg

nice sand eel pattern.

I'm still digging, even called guy who made these, no reply yet, The idea of a heavy rounded bottom spoon look is that is does not dig!, it slides over most everything and you keep it on the sand/ bottom. For me, running and eel , not talking sand eels, talking about local eels in the 10-14" lengths it needs to be tight to bottom.  The other thing is if the eel tube with hooks is attached so it moves freely, it becomes much more effective. I know some of you jig makers could easily mimic it. 

2 hours ago, RyanJ_88 said:

These seem like an awesome idea especially when they are on sandeels. Anyone have an original package? My office is right down the block from cropsey and I love the history that was created in these neighborhoods. Thanks for sharing guys!!!

You should of been living there in the 60s into the 80s and fished Coney lsland was a great place to fish, l grew up there1949 until 1965, l have two lures that l know of still in the original package with Bingle label some were, an l think they were made on Cropsey Ave. Bklyn.

19 mins ago, LB said:

You should of been living there in the 60s into the 80s and fished Coney lsland was a great place to fish, l grew up there1949 until 1965, l have two lures that l know of still in the original package with Bingle label some were, an l think they were made on Cropsey Ave. Bklyn.

I have had some great days at breezy, but honestly never fished coney island. maybe I should change that in the spring!

these jig heads would be deadly with a bass assassin or small sluggo too. i wonder if dan pours anything like these.... 

3 hours ago, Bluefishmaster said:

newbtail.jpg

Those are stripper candy. That is all they used.  My buddy had a special way to tie them on so they stayed level.   Tied direct to lure , doubled up last 3 feet of line (spider hitch?) ,left tag end long then split tag and tied around jig where rubber and lead meet this kept the jig level when fishing.

I found a sample of an alou eel with rubber eel(These are not my images but from another SOL member.).

WP_20170321_10_03_48_Pro.jpg

IMG_3332.JPG

Here is the point jude version of the above with tubes(These are not my images but from another SOL member.).

92AE6A5A-38B2-41C3-9B06-CA9C04917952.jpeg

2 hours ago, Tiderunr said:

Was that tackle shop you refer to on Cropsey called Moishe's ?

Moishe's was on Surf Ave around 22nd st, That was my hang out in the 50s into 60s. A great rod builder and fishermen when he could get away from his shop, he made my first spinning surf rod late 50s it was a 10 ft Harnell to fish the long lsland beaches.

60086c7edd294_Moishe2.jpg.a2de5f50d01fa99cc90cbfc63bd67458.jpg

60086c7deb27a_Moishe1.jpg.44f92ab19dc364ebd0aa50b8b534423b.jpg

he had his own jig head molds and block tin molds, he would also make creepers to be used on the jetties ones that don't come off boots, about $25 dollars half weeks pay back then.

creepers1960s.jpg.06de0e261bcedb034e6240f15d9df269.jpg

creepers1960sc.jpg.6b2152ac72c301eada41ea64d3a55624.jpg

wow! great pics LB ....... I wonder where Korkers got their inspiration ;)

creepers1960s.jpg.06de0e261bcedb034e6240f15d9df269.jpg.784e2f59e270e78698176a8d1ed6758a.jpg

Edited by BillZ
stupid phone changed my spelling.... again

29 mins ago, BillZ said:

wow! great pics LB ....... I wonder where Korkers got their inspiration ;)

creepers1960s.jpg.06de0e261bcedb034e6240f15d9df269.jpg.784e2f59e270e78698176a8d1ed6758a.jpg

They didn't build them as good, and these you didn't have to tape them to your boot from coming off.

l think the newer one are better, my Jetty days are over unless the rocks are laid out flat like a sidewalk.