RAW

Rubber eel tubes in the surf?

66 posts in this topic

Does anyone use these anymore? I use to use surgical tubing and flat head jig and did well up to about 5-6 years ago

2 hours ago, RAW said:

Does anyone use these anymore? I use to use surgical tubing and flat head jig and did well up to about 5-6 years ago

Did you stop using them or did the fish catch on? :hooked:

Jig heads and surgical tube tails. They were used by the Sheepheads Bay sharpies all the time. These guys use to use them bridge fishing down in the keys also.  I have  some heads left just have to get tubing and cut some up. Nordic eel was a similar type lure.

Posted (edited) · Report post

1 hour ago, Irishfire18 said:

Jig heads and surgical tube tails. They were used by the Sheepheads Bay sharpies all the time. These guys use to use them bridge fishing down in the keys also.  I have  some heads left just have to get tubing and cut some up. Nordic eel was a similar type lure.

Bingle Lures use to make great jig heads in the 70s 80s & 90s like you said all the sharpies in Brooklyn used them, all types with surgical tubing in all colors and some with clear water hose tubing with foil, he had his shop on Cropsey Ave in Coney Island, have some still in there wrappers, peanut bunker with clear water hose tubing with green foils inside looks just like a 2" baby bunker, have to dig them out and post some pictures.

Edited by LB

Donny Bingly he was one of the sharpies there. I’ll try to pull some out tomorrow and post them.   I have a couple of those clear tube  ones. I have a bunch of leadheads all from the 70’ and 80’s. Have to work on new tails.

2 hours ago, LB said:

Bingle Lures use to make great jig heads in the 70s 80s & 90s like you said all the sharpies in Brooklyn used them, all types with surgical tubing in all colors and some with clear water hose tubing with foil, he had his shop on Cropsey Ave in Coney Island, have some still in there wrappers, peanut bunker with clear water hose tubing with green foils inside looks just like a 2" baby bunker, have to dig them out and post some pictures.

1 hour ago, BrianBM said:

'S funny, I was cutting rubber tubing for Nordic eels just yesterday.

l have meet Donny in the 70s my Brother law knew him pretty good we would test out new jig for him fishing around Coney lsland off my fathers law boat, good times back then plenty of fish around also.

The sharpies you are talking about back in the 70s was a bunch out off Stalla Maris on Emmons Ave.

l grew up all around there from 1948 until 1987.

10 hours ago, LB said:

l have meet Donny in the 70s my Brother law knew him pretty good we would test out new jig for him fishing around Coney lsland off my fathers law boat, good times back then plenty of fish around also.

The sharpies you are talking about back in the 70s was a bunch out off Stalla Maris on Emmons Ave.

l grew up all around there from 1948 until 1987.

There are still sharpies fishing out of Stellar Maris.. I still fish the same areas that I fished fifty years ago .. 

4 hours ago, PSegnatelli said:

What do the jig heads look like?  Anyone post a few pics?

They look like these, l remember there where other style shaped heads and hanger eye was placed placed further up near the nose for using in shallower water, like l said before l will did out the bunker jig l have and will post pictures, l plain on using them spring time.

MaiTai_Nordic_Eels_1.jpg

5 mins ago, LB said:

They look like these, l remember there where other style shaped heads and hanger eye was placed placed further up near the nose for using in shallower water, like l said before l will did out the bunker jig l have and will post pictures, l plain on using them spring time.

MaiTai_Nordic_Eels_1.jpg

Very cool!  Ty.   

So all these "new" sandeel lures are just "everything old is new again"!

6 hours ago, PSegnatelli said:

What do the jig heads look like?  Anyone post a few pics?

mine I have to find, but looks like a tablespoon shape no handle, swivel head wired thru poured lead to hook, about 2-3 ounces for surf casting and dragging bottom.I rigged wit 2 single hooks. They were made by local bait guy