flyrad10

What do surf fisherman wear at Smith Point new inlet?

Rate this topic

25 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

I walked to the new inlet at Smith point at low tide in early December and noticed surf fisherman walking way out and casting with waves crashing at least 100 yards from shore. What do you surf fisherman wear there? Wetsuits,  dry tops, waders? I’m old school and missed the whole wetsuit subculture centered around Montauk but am curious about wet suiting in the surf. Never saw wet suit surf fisherman at Robert Moses beach front or Fire Island Inlet.

Edited by flyrad10
Misspelled inlet

7 hours ago, pakalolo said:

See ‘ spot burning’ post above!!!!!!

Pakalolo, LOL, give it up !   With all the alleged adults with a need to brag, with all the semi-adults with a need to drag a schoolie up the beach to take a photo of an undersized fish, do you really think spot burning is going to go away?   At this point in time I just want to see a beach web cam to decide if I need a longer than my 9' Lami, and just bring tins and eschew plugs.

On 1/16/2021 at 0:26 PM, pakalolo said:

See ‘ spot burning’ post above!!!!!!

So this inlet is a secret spot? Lmao. No different than mentioning any of the spots in Montauk or shinny/ Moriches. 

17 hours ago, pakalolo said:

Spots is spots. Surf is sacred 

Good god do hear yourself. So asking is wetsuit better than waders anywhere on long island is now spot burning. 

I didn't know particular locations had a dress code. That said, if I were fishing Old Inlet (it reoppened after a hurricane, after being closed for 40-5- years) I'd be damn careful, which matters a lot more than any particular outfit. That sand, for the larger part of the tidal cycle, is damn near quicksand. I've had to work hard to get myself out of it, once or twice.

Ideally, a neoprene suit AND a PFD, a good Mustang unit.

Posted (edited) · Report post

I understand the more stylish LI members of the "Low Spark of Van Staal Boys" contingent are wearing the Christian Dior Couture Frogg Toggs line.  If you deviate from that, the Fashion Police will humiliate you..

Yeah, extreme sarcasm...

Edited by Roccus7