codfish

Best all around jig hook?

Rate this topic

70 posts in this topic

I'm just getting into casting jigs. I went with Mustad 32786. I have that hook on alot of jigs and really like it.  Penetration is really nice. I've found that I can drop a bare hook onto my skin and it'll draw blood. 

Plus I like the ones Scooby posted.  

9 hours ago, PSegnatelli said:

I'm just getting into casting jigs. I went with Mustad 32786. I have that hook on alot of jigs and really like it.  Penetration is really nice. I've found that I can drop a bare hook onto my skin and it'll draw blood. 

:)any pics?

15 hours ago, PSegnatelli said:

Very big fan of the Mustard 32786, been using them for years and have no complaints, anything smaller then 3/0 I like to use the Owner 5313

Posted (edited) · Report post

9 mins ago, codfish said:

:eek:

Here's a stock photo. 

For my leg, just imagine a piece of pasty pink/white porkskin. Bulging subsurface varicose veins and shrouded in light brown brillo hair with a hook dangling off.  

images.jpeg

Edited by PSegnatelli
Lol forgot the photo

Posted (edited) · Report post

First I'd have to ask what kind of jig is the hook for.. I've got lots of favorite jig hooks depending on what that jig will be used for..

Back bay fluke jigs get a different hook than deep water fluke jigs.

Ocean front fluke casting jig..

Tog jigs...

Snap jigs...

A casting jig for bass that I'll be dressing w a fat cow or otter tail .. different hooks yet again..

And this list goes on and on...

Long shank, short shank, wide gap, narrow gap, sickle style, round bend, thin wire, thick wire... Etc... They all have their place.. the more you try different styles, the more you will find each has a specialized niche...

IMO various jigs for different techniques/targets require specific hooks.. I've played around with dozens of styles until I've found what works best for me given each specific application.. 

Baskin robbins has 31 flavors for a reason... don't limit yourself... the weather is beautiful outside the box.

20210117_144200.jpg

Edited by Beachglass Guru

1 hour ago, Beachglass Guru said:

First I'd have to ask what kind of jig is the hook for.. I've got lots of favorite jig hooks depending on what that jig will be used for..

Back bay fluke jigs get a different hook than deep water fluke jigs.

Ocean front fluke casting jig..

Tog jigs...

Snap jigs...

A casting jig for bass that I'll be dressing w a fat cow or otter tail .. different hooks yet again..

And this list goes on and on...

Long shank, short shank, wide gap, narrow gap, sickle style, round bend, thin wire, thick wire... Etc... They all have their place.. the more you try different styles, the more you will find each has a specialized niche...

IMO various jigs for different techniques/targets require specific hooks.. I've played around with dozens of styles until I've found what works best for me given each specific application.. 

Baskin robbins has 31 flavors for a reason... don't limit yourself... the weather is beautiful outside the box.

20210117_144200.jpg

:)WOW:) did you make those??

1 min ago, codfish said:

Nice:):theman::theman:

Thanks man.. just one of the things I do in winter to maintain sanity... My buddy drops off thousnads of pounds of free lead over the course of a year... So I just play around w new ideas as they come up..

When I find a jig I like, I get the mold made from a CNC place and I'll usually have it customized a bit to fit my various inclinations.. 

I'll pour hundreds every winter.. but I rarely loose tackle while fishing and I maintain my stuff nicely, so I really only need a few each season.. I wind up giving it all away to friends every year.. 

1 hour ago, Beachglass Guru said:

Are those just standard hoochies they're dressed with or something different? Are they peeled back for the pic or do you fish them that way? I use hoochies on my homemade mold swinghooks. I use various make Siwashes on the swinghooks and Mustad 4-0 O'Shaughnessys on rigid tog jigs. The great thing about swinghooks is when the hook gets rusty just replace it, and swap the hoochie if you want a different color.  The one at the bottom right I cut off the front to make a 1/2oz just for scup with a #2 O'Shaughnessy baitholder.

jigs.PNG.e0f8a9e4caf7a4d6a5488e08fa778f43.PNG

11 mins ago, gellfex said:

Are those just standard hoochies they're dressed with or something different? Are they peeled back for the pic or do you fish them that way? I use hoochies on my homemade mold swinghooks. I use various make Siwashes on the swinghooks and Mustad 4-0 O'Shaughnessys on rigid tog jigs. The great thing about swinghooks is when the hook gets rusty just replace it, and swap the hoochie if you want a different color.  The one at the bottom right I cut off the front to make a 1/2oz just for scup with a #2 O'Shaughnessy baitholder.

jigs.PNG.e0f8a9e4caf7a4d6a5488e08fa778f43.PNG

I don't use squid hoochies for anything other than my cod jigs... For everything else I prefer silicone skirts, they provide a much more natural effect in the water..

They are pushed back in that picture so that the hooks were more visible