Beastly Backlash

8nbait Heaver First Impressions

Rate this topic

23 posts in this topic

So just got the 12ft Penn Battalion 2 6-12 rod and the 12ft St. Croix Avid 6-16 rod.

I currently have a 12ft Tica Dolphin 6-12 rod that I was able to compare the above two rods too.

The 12ft St. Croix seems to be a slow action even though I think it is listed as a moderate action. The rod definitely has a progressive taper that extends to the butt. This rod will be pretty easy to load on the cast.

The 12ft Battalion 2 is a true moderate action. Even though this rod has a lower casting weight rating, the rod has more power then the 12ft St. Croix. This rod is nearly as powerful as the 12ft Tica I have and from my experience the XH 12ft Tica dolphin is one of the most powerful 12ft 8nbait rods I have ever handled. The rod will definitely take some muscle to load on the cast.

Sounds like the Avid would be perfect for tossing softer baits like Bunker.  I built an 11'6" Honey Lami for that reason and it works great.  The softness of it helps keep the bait on the hook.

The red 12 foot Avid is a great rod

I throw 6 oz and a chunk all day with no problem, sometimes 10 oz.

Some friends have the Tica and Penn and they seem to work well also,

but I would not trade my Avid for them.

grown to love my avid.....big difference from old school ue tica and breakaway hdx.   feels like it loads itself for me and so much easier on my shoulders.....

Good update BB. The Battalion in an excellent rod, regardless of price. I’m sure the 2nd gen. is even nicer. I plan to purchase that same rod for bait.

I am very curious about your thoughts on the Avid. I love St Croix, and I have 2 of the 12ft 6-16 Mojos. I love the rods! I’m not in love with the low rider guides, but they never really caused me any issue.  I was planning on upgrading to a 12 ft Avid, or even the 12ft. Legend for bait duty.  I recall you mentioning that you either own or have fished the 12ft. Mojo. Comparing the 12ft Avid to the 12ft Mojo, what are your impressions? I always felt that the Mojo series was always the most moderate action series from St. Croix. I only fish the Mojo with braid, but I also have some of my reels spooled with mono. Was wondering if you fished the avid with mono and if the guides work with both mono and braid. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

I actually had the 12ft Mojo and 12ft Red Avid at the same time. Both loaded up pretty easily, a little too easily in some cases for my taste. But, I can not recall the smaller details as it was so long ago. I remember the Mojo feeling heavier then the Avid and OM I had at the time.

I haven't yet gotten this new 12ft Avid on the field yet, just got it in the mail along with the 12ft Battalion. I think this new Avid is still the same blank as the previous generation, just has cosmetic changes (no paint) and changes in hardware.

The thing that struck me was the finish of this new Avid. The description says the rod has two coats of flex coating, but the finish looks bare and unfinished vs a matte with two coverings of flex coat.

Maybe someone can tell me, is it possible for a rod to have an unfinished matte look with two coverings of flex coat?

Edited by Beastly Backlash

2 hours ago, Beastly Backlash said:

Maybe someone can tell me, is it possible for a rod to have an unfinished matte look with two coverings of flex coat?

They are referring to 2 coats of Flex Coat on the wraps, not the entire rod.

Edited by ZAFisher

42 mins ago, ZAFisher said:

They are referring to 2 coats of Flex Coat on the wraps, not the entire rod.

Thanks, though the way they word it makes you think that they coated the whole rod.

4 mins ago, ZAFisher said:

I suppose I look at it from a rod builder's perspective; not many would coat the entire rod in epoxy.

That makes sense.

I might just be thinking of the clear coat finish or glossy paint finish you see on many rods.

This 12ft Avid is 100% bare, which looks nice till you look closely and then it just seems like something was left off.

It looks like a matt finish paint - assuming the image from their website is what it looks like?

I personally like bare un-painted un-coated carbon, build many of my own rods like this

Screenshot_2021-01-16 assguide png (WEBP Image, 900 × 500 pixels).png

It is just unfinished, no paint. You can feel the texture of the carbon fiber as well as see the grains.

20210116_160541.jpg

I am fine with it, just caught me off guard. At first I thought I recieved a rod that was not properly finished.

I am used to St. Croixs having some kind of finish to their rods.

Edited by Beastly Backlash

8 hours ago, Beastly Backlash said:

It is just unfinished, no paint. You can feel the texture of the carbon fiber as well as see the grains.

20210116_160541.jpg

I am fine with it, just caught me off guard. At first I thought I recieved a rod that was not properly finished.

I am used to St. Croixs having some kind of finish to their rods.

Well look at that. Unground.

The rod casts nicelky though?