J Powers

Steve in Mass obit ?

Rate this topic

29 posts in this topic

Excellent. Thanks Tim. 

Although I fished with Steve at the canal for years, I actually knew very little about the rest of his life. I did know that he was one interesting guy .

7 mins ago, J Powers said:

Excellent. Thanks Tim. 

Although I fished with Steve at the canal for years, I actually knew very little about the rest of his life. I did know that he was one interesting guy .

I know he was born in NJ and fished a lot of the same local rivers that I grew up fishing :) I don't know all that much about his personal life....he was an incredibly smart guy....who said and did a lotta silly **** :) 

I can tell you that at one point (not sure if this held true to his later years), he was an avid fan of Shimano Bait Runner reels (early versions). I had one that was showing signs of age and offered to give it to him, if he thought he could fix it up and use it...which he accepted. hopefully he put some good mojo on that reel

Jim, Steve and Donna never had much money, and obituaries are usually done nowadays by the mortuary. They were expensive 10 years ago when my mom died. We used to rag on Steve for being cheap, but he had to be thrifty. If you Google "Stephen Panus obituary" you won't find one for the right Stephen Panus. Or Steven if you spell it that way.

As far as funeral arrangements go, as I recall, Steve was an atheist, so I doubt that they'd be any formal service.

I think what Steve would have liked, above all else, would be a gathering where it would be like one of those Dean Martin celebrity roast, where y'all got together and told funny tales and lies about him and his many quirks. :laugh:  Maybe after the virus is under control.

On 1/18/2021 at 5:36 PM, Ditch Jigger said:

Jim, Steve and Donna never had much money, and obituaries are usually done nowadays by the mortuary. They were expensive 10 years ago when my mom died. We used to rag on Steve for being cheap, but he had to be thrifty. If you Google "Stephen Panus obituary" you won't find one for the right Stephen Panus. Or Steven if you spell it that way.

As far as funeral arrangements go, as I recall, Steve was an atheist, so I doubt that they'd be any formal service.

I think what Steve would have liked, above all else, would be a gathering where it would be like one of those Dean Martin celebrity roast, where y'all got together and told funny tales and lies about him and his many quirks. :laugh:  Maybe after the virus is under control.

Tim mentioned resurrecting the Ditch Fling in his honor, I think Bob G replied to help out, and I will as well.

1 hour ago, John O' said:

Tim mentioned resurrecting the Ditch Fling in his honor, I think Bob G replied to help out, and I will as well.

I did a couple Ditch Flings with Steve. Enjoyed the experience. It was after that we became friends. 

Upon learning of his passing, I contacted Tim that day, and asked if I could take the helm, and resurrect the Ditch Fling in his memory.   It will be held in the fall, providing all the logistics associated with covid are worked out.  Once that happens, I'll work things out with the ACOE to get the ball rolling. 

You can count me in as long as my health will allow . We are all Brothers and Sisters and some like Steve leave to soon.

Peace and Prayerrs

20 hours ago, Angler #1 said:

You can count me in as long as my health will allow . We are all Brothers and Sisters and some like Steve leave to soon.

Peace and Prayerrs

Really hope you can make it Carl, I'm in for sure!

1 hour ago, John O' said:

Really hope you can make it Carl, I'm in for sure!

John it sure would be nice if this virus was in the box some where and we could get back to some great times when we first began here at SOL and have more personal contact with some great folks who liked to fish , make plugs, share the experiences we all enjoy. Peace and Prayers my friend

2 mins ago, Angler #1 said:

John it sure would be nice if this virus was in the box some where and we could get back to some great times when we first began here at SOL and have more personal contact with some great folks who liked to fish , make plugs, share the experiences we all enjoy. Peace and Prayers my friend

Well put Carl, and likewise my friend!  I'd love to hear more Southie fishing stories!

2 mins ago, John O' said:

Well put Carl, and likewise my friend!  I'd love to hear more Southie fishing stories!

I still have a few , however I would be unable to post them here . peace and prayer