osprey47

cod from shore this time of year?

Rate this topic

15 posts in this topic

I know its cold but does anyone give it a go?  I heard from old timers they used to be able to get cod and pollack from shore this time of year, curious to try, assuming crabs would still be the way to go?

49 mins ago, DZ said:

February and March were the months many years back.  Squid on the bottom.

You're talking decades ago when the winter climate was colder and there were an abundance of cod around.

Some think the dog fish too have added to the problem.

Going back decades .... who remembers frostfish?

We'd hand spear them at night with waders and lanterns in the upper bay.

They were actually whitings.

5 hours ago, Capt.Castafly said:

You're talking decades ago when the winter climate was colder and there were an abundance of cod around.

Some think the dog fish too have added to the problem.

Going back decades .... who remembers frostfish?

We'd hand spear them at night with waders and lanterns in the upper bay.

They were actually whitings.

That sounds fun as hell!

Recent years we’ve had a decent inshore small cod fishery in late fall and early winter.  Could be time for someone to check out to see if they’re in the surf.  Not comfortable fishing- pretty much an after dark thing.  But we’ll never really know unless somebody wets a line.  Same thing with whiting.  The key to them was always presence of silversides which are very rare now in the winter shore.

I saw cod caught by the tog guys off Center Wall boating. I would think any of the deeper water around Newport and Beavertail would be worthy. 

45 mins ago, DZ said:

Recent years we’ve had a decent inshore small cod fishery in late fall and early winter.  Could be time for someone to check out to see if they’re in the surf.  Not comfortable fishing- pretty much an after dark thing.  But we’ll never really know unless somebody wets a line.  Same thing with whiting.  The key to them was always presence of silversides which are very rare now in the winter shore.

Used to be a thing back in the 70s especially. Before even my time.  Now its more often talked about than acted upon. :shaky:

Much easier if you can drive on the beach at night, spike the bait rods, and sit in the vehicle. But i dont know if beach drive-ons at night are allowed in soco at this time of year. 

On 1/16/2021 at 7:26 AM, The Riddler said:

I saw cod caught by the tog guys off Center Wall boating. I would think any of the deeper water around Newport and Beavertail would be worthy. 

Where about Newport do you reckon? I've never fished the area but I've been around, and I'm trying to get back up in a month or two. Would you figure Easton beach? Or somewhere with deeper water access like Brenton Point or Castle Hill? Speaking of, do you think 6n bait would be capable of holding the bottom?

1 hour ago, PistolPeteFL said:

Where about Newport do you reckon? I've never fished the area but I've been around, and I'm trying to get back up in a month or two. Would you figure Easton beach? Or somewhere with deeper water access like Brenton Point or Castle Hill? Speaking of, do you think 6n bait would be capable of holding the bottom?

The Joy Is In The Journey 

Following this one closely we used to go out of Qonnie Breachway and hit the first lege a few miles out for Tommy cod but that ended years ago

On 1/16/2021 at 7:26 AM, The Riddler said:

i went out for tog only once this fall but landed a decent cod not too far from shore near Weatherill while doing so... i feel like it would be doable to go for them from shore

Early in the spring on the first trips out we get cod off Newport, and it seems to be improving each year.  Had 5 keepers in one day last spring in 50 - 70 feet of water.

thinking ill be heading out  next weekend if the weather holds up to give it a shot, was planning to this weekend but something about those negative wind chills doesn't do it for me 

If I get blessed with a nice day a bit later in the year l may take a trip east towards you guys.   

I'll look like the dang Michelin man thou!