fishhappy

TICA v Battalion Casting Rod

Rate this topic

17 posts in this topic

Guys on this site used to give good marks to TICA. Is that still the case? I am planning on picking up another 10' surf casting rod. Between the two, would you pick TICA or the Penn Battalion?

Wish I could tell you about the Tica 10ft rods. All I have are the 12ft XXH Dolphins.

I used to have a 10ft Battalion though. Used it with a Komodo 471SS till I broke the rod. It cast great through its lure weight range, but it loved 2oz to 3oz best. Action was moderate, rod was easy to load, light in weight, and it was a 50/50 split.

1 min ago, Beastly Backlash said:

Wish I could tell you about the Tica 10ft rods. All I have are the 12ft XXH Dolphins.

I used to have a 10ft Battalion though. Used it with a Komodo 471SS till I broke the rod. It cast great through its lure weight range, but it loved 2oz to 3oz best. Action was moderate, rod was easy to load, light in weight, and it was a 50/50 split.

Thanks. 

I also cannot spell of the Tica, but my Battalion (9' spinning) is shockingly good for the price. It casts beautifully and is very sensitive to tiny Perch nibbles. 

1 min ago, cityevader said:

I also cannot spell of the Tica, but my Battalion (9' spinning) is shockingly good for the price. It casts beautifully and is very sensitive to tiny Perch nibbles. 

If the 10' has the same sensitivity as the 9', ill probably to with the Battalion. 

I've also got a 10' Battalion (again, spinning) but only used it once, hating how long the butt was, so can't speak for its sensitivity. It did cast nicely though.

Posted (edited) · Report post

I have two Tica nine footers (uhea)identical ratings

Bought one went fishing that morning or next morning loves it went back after the fishing that morning and bought another one.

And they do handle their two to six with weight rating correctly.

I can't comment on the battalion cuz I never touched one but I love what I got.

If I remember correctly the 10 footer that I handled that was a uhea was stiff.

HH

Edited by Heavy Hooksetter

I have a 8ft UGSA and 12ft UEHA.  Both have served me well and at least to me fish above their cost.  If you end up going with the TICA it's worth the little bit extra for the UGSA Dolphin.  Better guides and reel seat although I haven't had issues with my UEHA. 

6 hours ago, fishhappy said:

If the 10' has the same sensitivity as the 9', ill probably to with the Battalion. 

The 10ft rod is pretty sensitive for what it is. Not crazy sensitive like a high end St. Croix bass rod, but sensitive enough to fish 2oz to 4oz jigs and know what is happening, especially if using braid.

7 hours ago, fishhappy said:

Guys on this site used to give good marks to TICA. Is that still the case? I am planning on picking up another 10' surf casting rod. Between the two, would you pick TICA or the Penn Battalion?

Have you felt the prevail ?

I have one of those in 10 ft one to four rating but it is actually more like two to six {comma} I love mine low cost great performance I have plenty of balls for 60 bucks you can't beat it.

HH

look for a used lamiglas XS10MHC.  

i have 2 in my arsenal for anything bait thats not on the oceanfront.

id sell them if i could find a rod to replace it with. but i have not yet.

Tica Rods??? I think they are great. At the moment mine are packed away, Their 9' ones are great for all around fishing. Have the first and the Dolphin. Same with the 10'6" ones. Only rods I use. My 2cents. 

50 mins ago, Heavy Hooksetter said:

Have you felt the prevail ?

I have one of those in 10 ft one to four rating but it is actually more like two to six {comma} I love mine low cost great performance I have plenty of balls for 60 bucks you can't beat it.

HH

I have the spinning one. It has never let me down,

38 mins ago, ooeric said:

look for a used lamiglas XS10MHC.  

i have 2 in my arsenal for anything bait thats not on the oceanfront.

id sell them if i could find a rod to replace it with. but i have not yet.

I’m thinking about it

1 hour ago, fishhappy said:

I have the spinning one. It has never let me down,

If you like the Prevail, then you will like the Batallion. They are both the same blank. The Battalion has upgraded hardware. I have both, and like both models. 

I also have the Dolphin 10ft 3-8 in spinning. I like that rod a too. If I had to choose between the Penns or the Tica, I would choose the Battalion. I find the the Penns are a little more moderate, and handle a wider range within there rating. Definitely a more comfortable throw. The Tica is a little on the fast side. To me, it seems better on the top end of its rating.