FoliFish

Gear Drying Rack Ideas

Rate this topic

27 posts in this topic

Anyone have any ideas on building or buying some sort of gear drying rack?  Draping/hanging waders, wetsuits, tops, bags, boots etc over my fence/grill/outdoor shower/patio furniture is getting annoying for some members of my household.  Plus I want to be able to move it depending on sun/wind conditions.  I was thinking PVC pipe or similar.  Any plans or pics of what works?   I'm too lazy and stupid to come up with my own design.

in my basement just inside a door from where i park my boat, rinse rods, and etc.  i added another dehumidifier close by.

just hooks on the wall for the waders etc.  rod holders are just pvc sections screwed to a 2x12 thats bullet nailed to the wall.

91937009-C05A-480C-806A-CADBFDEE7757.jpeg

Posted (edited) · Report post

44 mins ago, FoliFish said:

Anyone have any ideas on building or buying some sort of gear drying rack?  Draping/hanging waders, wetsuits, tops, bags, boots etc over my fence/grill/outdoor shower/patio furniture is getting annoying for some members of my household.  Plus I want to be able to move it depending on sun/wind conditions.  I was thinking PVC pipe or similar.  Any plans or pics of what works?   I'm too lazy and stupid to come up with my own design.

Great post! 

My son played travel ice hockey for years. We made a few drying racks out of PVC tubing and connectors for all his gear, helmets, stakes, pants, shoulder pads, shin pages, etc. We also made a couple that would broke down to take  with us to use in hotel rooms for weekend tourneys. I'm sure with a little thought you could figure out a configuration that works for your gear. 1.5" PVC a bunch of elbows and tees....done.

Do a quick search for DIY Hockey Equipment Drying Racks... 

Screen Shot 2021-01-15 at 12.10.14 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-01-15 at 12.21.29 PM.png

Edited by PeteA

For boots, take plywood, create a L shape and cutout the - into shape of boot and screw to wall. Found better to hang upside down from boot than hang from straps. Can find cheap metal clothes racks for tops and anything else

28 mins ago, PeteA said:

Great post! 

My son played travel ice hockey for years. We made a few drying racks out of PVC tubing and connectors for all his gear, helmets, stakes, pants, shoulder pads, shin pages, etc. We also made a couple that would broke down to take  with us to use in hotel rooms for weekend tourneys. I'm sure with a little thought you could figure out a configuration that works for your gear. 1.5" PVC a bunch of elbows and tees....done.

Do a quick search for DIY Hockey Equipment Drying Racks... 

Screen Shot 2021-01-15 at 12.10.14 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-01-15 at 12.21.29 PM.png

This is EXACTLY what I was envisioning.  Never even thought to look at hockey/lax equipment racks.

I really want something outside where my crap can air dry before it goes inside the garage for the night.  Something like this is perfect and mobile.  Great idea.  Thanks Pete.

7 mins ago, FoliFish said:

This is EXACTLY what I was envisioning.  Never even thought to look at hockey/lax equipment racks.

I really want something outside where my crap can air dry before it goes inside the garage for the night.  Something like this is perfect and mobile.  Great idea.  Thanks Pete.

I'm off to HD this weekend! Thx for the great idea. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

Dennis, the best thing I ever did for drying out fishing stuff including waders, surf tops etc., is to buy a dehumidifier. I hang all my stuff from nails in rafters or on hangers in my basement and turn on dehumidifier . The next morning everything is dry. 

Edited by VanStaalSteve

7 mins ago, PeteA said:

I'm off to HD this weekend! Thx for the great idea. 

I just googled it and dozens came up.  some even with a list of materials lol.  Thanks again.

Just now, FoliFish said:

I just googled it and dozens came up.  some even with a list of materials lol.  Thanks again.

LOL! I'm already doing sketches! Post some pic of what you come up with... or

maybe even a How To Gear Drying Rack post...

8 mins ago, VanStaalSteve said:

Dennis, the best thing I ever did for drying out fishing stuff including waders, surf tops etc., is to buy a dehumidifier. I hang all my stuff from nails in rafters or on hangers in my basement and turn on dehumidifier . The next morning everything is dry. 

Thanks Steve!!  I do have a dehumidifier in my basement....I'll make two racks.  One for the yard and one for the basement lol

1 hour ago, doublegregg said:

why not just a folding wood rack sold for drying clothes? it could also be used for..........drying laundry.

Tried one once and too flimsy.  At least the one I tried.