Jay_paternostro

Personal best Pike

19 posts in this topic

6 hours ago, bennie said:

Chan,,northern,,,darter pike,,,,? And on a fly rod it's a whole different story,,,,,hehe,,,,,:shrug:

What is a "darker pike"??

 

And I guess by chain you mean pickerel?  Same family but not a pike

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

41" and 41.5" caught a few minutes apart.  Storm jointed thunderstruck with prism flash and 6" bubblegum sluggo.  Guided trip with my grandpa when I was 19.

20210115_061548.jpg.42c298b8ab4c9f6a039b842e54f1c2e5.jpg20210115_061619.jpg.c02abca811967bbd914805c425d6b23d.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, gorkmonster said:

41" and 41.5" caught a few minutes apart.  Storm jointed thunderstruck with prism flash and 6" bubblegum sluggo.  Guided trip with my grandpa when I was 19.

20210115_061548.jpg.42c298b8ab4c9f6a039b842e54f1c2e5.jpg20210115_061619.jpg.c02abca811967bbd914805c425d6b23d.jpg

Damn nice fish

 

Thanks for posting

 

Been fishing over 40 years and yet to catch a pike.  Not really many in the waters I fish though

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have yet to catch a pure northern pike, i have only caught tiger muskies. This spring i have plans on fishing some lakes that have pure pike.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited) · Report post

10 hours ago, Captain Ahab said:

Damn nice fish

 

Thanks for posting

 

Been fishing over 40 years and yet to catch a pike.  Not really many in the waters I fish though

Thanks!  It was quite the finale to a three day trip. In my last 20 minutes on the boat I landed five fish totaling 187.5."  Call me a liar, but my very last fish of the trip was a 35 incher that had been nearly torn in half by a larger pike during the fight.  I'd say that the attacker would have been pushing 50."  That estimation was based on the 8" wide jaw marks that had been cut into the sides of the fish. The water was too stained to see what was going on unfortunately.

 

Man I miss Canada...   

Edited by gorkmonster

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No Pikes around here.   Caught a 39 inch back in the 70s up in CT.

 

Chain Pickerel (AKA Slime Darts) are all I find in SE Va.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited) · Report post

Caught thousands of quality Pike in the secluded lakes around my family's summer cabin back home in Finland, but all my biggest were caught in the Baltic Ocean in between Kustavi and Merimasku. We would hear reports of 20kg pike on a weekly basis but the biggest I ever caught was around 14kg. I have printed pictures with some of the trophy fish but this was mostly before digital photography was a thing. I have a few pictures taken during holiday weekends way back when I was in the army over there. (First few pictures below) Those ocean pike are still my favorite fish to catch anywhere in the world.

 

4DA0EE78-917A-43AF-9053-29E9B8745AA4.jpeg

AAFA83C8-ADB6-40DA-8085-5342A2EB8980.jpeg.2b7adc7db01f84440f3cbf62e33da870.jpeg764628CC-34D3-43F5-B485-19D64BDB5317.jpeg.8adc16626b06d44fce378be84bf26d79.jpeg

 

Right in the center of the country you can grab a dirt bike and a rod and follow a map to a lake that potentially nobody has ever fished before, and there are very aggressive pike in all of them.

425E6386-BDAB-4488-A8D4-E6E57C64804A.jpeg.ae2712731638cd06ad91d1d8ae6cdcf7.jpegI fished one particularly stained lake with a lot of vegetative decay at the bottom and all the fish, including the perch, were almost completely black in color. The name of the lake translates to "Evil Lake" and it really was an eerie place to fish.

7AEF8D7A-68E3-41D2-AC55-DC1CACB62ED4.jpeg.1bb12ab7c8b2ec4b4db39f012b51db8c.jpeg

 

Edited by Sir Defyable

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/16/2021 at 4:52 PM, Sir Defyable said:

Caught thousands of quality Pike in the secluded lakes around my family's summer cabin back home in Finland, but all my biggest were caught in the Baltic Ocean in between Kustavi and Merimasku. We would hear reports of 20kg pike on a weekly basis but the biggest I ever caught was around 14kg. I have printed pictures with some of the trophy fish but this was mostly before digital photography was a thing. I have a few pictures taken during holiday weekends way back when I was in the army over there. (First few pictures below) Those ocean pike are still my favorite fish to catch anywhere in the world.

 

4DA0EE78-917A-43AF-9053-29E9B8745AA4.jpeg

AAFA83C8-ADB6-40DA-8085-5342A2EB8980.jpeg.2b7adc7db01f84440f3cbf62e33da870.jpeg764628CC-34D3-43F5-B485-19D64BDB5317.jpeg.8adc16626b06d44fce378be84bf26d79.jpeg

 

Right in the center of the country you can grab a dirt bike and a rod and follow a map to a lake that potentially nobody has ever fished before, and there are very aggressive pike in all of them.

425E6386-BDAB-4488-A8D4-E6E57C64804A.jpeg.ae2712731638cd06ad91d1d8ae6cdcf7.jpegI fished one particularly stained lake with a lot of vegetative decay at the bottom and all the fish, including the perch, were almost completely black in color. The name of the lake translates to "Evil Lake" and it really was an eerie place to fish.

7AEF8D7A-68E3-41D2-AC55-DC1CACB62ED4.jpeg.1bb12ab7c8b2ec4b4db39f012b51db8c.jpeg

 

 

Nice fish. I take it you eat them.

When you say army, do you mean the Finnish Army? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Captain Ahab said:

That is beastie holy crap

That's not mine.  It's a Euro caught in Italy.  I thought it would be kinda cute to post this here. :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited) · Report post

1 hour ago, MikeMc said:

 

Nice fish. I take it you eat them.

When you say army, do you mean the Finnish Army? 

Yea, we eat them. No running water or electricity at the cabin, and it’s better that way. Perch and pike are highly prized when you bring them back for the family.

 

As for the army yea they have mandatory service. I live in the US but still maintained citizenship there so I had to do my time. Worth it just for the fishing! Had the trip of a lifetime fly fishing the Tornio and Muonio rivers for salmon,  grayling, trout, etc for a few weeks prior to my service. We packed nothing but fishing gear and vodka and headed well into the Arctic circle during the middle of summer. The sun never goes down that time of year so somebody like me can really scratch the itch to fish with 24hr daylight and plentiful fish to catch. Grayling roasted over a fire on a stick never gets old either!

 

I haven’t been back in over a decade now but you better believe it’s still high on my list for future fishing trips. Highly recommended. Only one rule: if you are standing in the middle of the river and you have to take a whizz, it’s gotta be done on the Swedish side of the river :point:

Edited by Sir Defyable

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Some nice fish in this thread.  Guess we should move to Italy!  I have yet to tangle with a big pike.  Lots of pickerel.  I am sure I will get fortunate up at Lake George at some point!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.