DAQ

Century 1 piece rods

Rate this topic

30 posts in this topic

8 hours ago, Mike Oliver said:

Drew

I hear you. For the huge majority I would say that’s true. But for a small minority of us who wet suit and deep wade and swim to rocks a one piece is the way to go. We just can’t afford for any section to come lose for whatever reason. Our rods get rough treatment. I would buy any of my current four piece rods if they were available in a one piece in a nano second. 
There is just something so right about one piece rods. I have 11 feet one piece surf and love them.

Mike

I agree. Every rod I have right now from 2-12wt would be replaced or duplicated with a one piece version if they existed. 

I currently have 4 one piece rods, I see only benefits with them.

Posted (edited) · Report post

15 hours ago, Mike Oliver said:

Drew

Your reply is intriguing. Why the preference for one piece spin but not for a fly rod. What is the difference.

I totally concur as regards distance performance. Most of us do not get close to the maximum performance level of our rods.

Unlike yourself I have had sections come adrift on four piece rods. Also when checking before that occurs  I find some sections have loosened.

When stood on a small rock where the surf will take you off I don’t have time to check my rod for loose joints. If the tip section flies off it is mostly likely going to be curtains and my day screwed or a long hike back to the car for a back up rod. In Montauk that can mean you also lose your rock.

A one piece rod is the perfect answer. It offers increased performance over  multi piece rods  because it never falls apart.

When you swim to a rock you  are  faced with the fun problem of climbing it and your rod tends to get dragged up behind you. No way do I want any separation  at that point. If the leader breaks I stand to lose one or more sections.

You will not find many Sharpies in Montauk fishing two piece spin rods. So why should we as Fly guys be any different. Then again you don’t see that many fly guys in Montauk.

In 23 years the only SOL members I met and fly fished with in Montauk was JohnP, surfrat59, Albieaddict , Oakman, and slip n slide and a couple of other guys who I appologise for forgetting their names.  The only wet suitors were myself JohnP and Oakman.

I recall fishing with three other brilliant guys one was an old  boy like me an a Irishman and one guy  we called “Ron the Cigar “

But we are not going to be enough to interest a blank maker unless the owner likes doing the same kind of fun stuff.

If I ever get a one piece rod then like my one piece spin rods I have to leave them with a friend in the USA. 
Airlines are not very friendly in this regard. The hard hearted Sods.

Mike

It's rooted in past (many years ago) experience with multipiece rods (not fly rods). They aren't the same today. A good quality 2 piece surf rod is fine. I've owned FSC, CTS and ODM 2pc rods. If I was blindfolded and given one to fish I wouldn't know that it was 2 piece.

That said, there's this little tick or twitch that happens when I pick one up but it's not due to performance of the rod. Realistically, it's something that I need to get over. 

I have wet suited but never with a flyrod. The ones that I currently have, I'm confident that they wouldn't come apart if I did. 

Edited by Drew C.

Drew

Shame FSC stopped making. I liked their surf rods.

Dont worry about your affliction. I have it to. I just love my Lami GSB1321M.

All time classic surf rod. Old it maybe but class never dies.

How about treating yourself and try the wet suit when applicable with the fly rod. It seriously is one hell of a lot of fun. Certain flat on the Cape where it will give you at least two more hours of fishing on the flood. It is a nice get out of jail card to if needed.

I suppose I could always tape my multi piece rod joints.

We can but hope the Striper does recover and the glory days return to Montauk.

Nowhere else compares for me when it comes to fishing for Stripers.

Mike

22 mins ago, Mike Oliver said:

Drew

Shame FSC stopped making. I liked their surf rods.

Dont worry about your affliction. I have it to. I just love my Lami GSB1321M.

All time classic surf rod. Old it maybe but class never dies.

How about treating yourself and try the wet suit when applicable with the fly rod. It seriously is one hell of a lot of fun. Certain flat on the Cape where it will give you at least two more hours of fishing on the flood. It is a nice get out of jail card to if needed.

I suppose I could always tape my multi piece rod joints.

We can but hope the Striper does recover and the glory days return to Montauk.

Nowhere else compares for me when it comes to fishing for Stripers.

Mike

Perhaps I will some day but given the state of the fishery, and shore based saltwater fishing in general here in the NE, my salt days are pretty more done going forward. It's just no longer a viable option.

34 mins ago, Shakeyfly said:

@DAQ I know Bear's Den said they had got a couple in, I believe they were all 4 piece rods. 

BD had the 4 piece... 1 piece rods!:huh: Thanks for the heads up, I'll keep an eye out elsewhere.

Some thread i have read some guys have glued Cts and fsc spinning rods.

If you want a rod to be one piece you could glue it. NO?

An option for warranty concerns.... One could also put some ferrule wax in the join and just bind external of  sections with a couple turns of electrical tape. I know a lot of guys would not do this option because of the appearance.

It seems like the tolerances on flyrod joins are much better than spinning.  they seem to fit really snug.

Not sure why it is this way but many peeps have noted that the gsb 1322m is not the same as the 1321m...like it does not perform the same.  So i can see the curiosity factor on a 1 piece flyrod. It probably would perform like a different blank.

I do prefer a one piece rod spinning and casting.  I tend to be rough on my equipment and am not the best on cleaning fishing gear. All you need is a windy beach to get some sand blown onto the rod when you are putting it together and feel that dreaded grit. Ferrules wear out, they twist, and they can come apart.

Ok I’ll play devils advocate..... the cost to ship from manufacturer to wholesalers to final retailer for any one piece rod over 7’11.99” adds considerably to its final cost to the customer. Then there is the transportation inconvenience’s associated for those that have to drive to fishing locations and transport 9’ or longer rods to their fishing sites by car or worse yet by plane. If you clouser it it’s done and you have to buy another full rod  instead of paying for a new section of the rod. I could go on but unless I lived on the water I planned on fishing or paid $400+ on roof rack fly rod vaults a one piece to me just isn’t worth it when some electrical tape and a few seconds can secure a multi piece rod.  I do see why manufacturers don’t offer single piece as  the added associated costs and very limited market would be more than enough to not offer them. 

I own one one piece rod 8’ and over (a surf spinning rod) and in 15 years I have fished it 3 times because it is such a pia  to transport from home to fishing sand and I have many other multi piece rods that fish as well or better than it and it’s a Ben doerr elite which some think are great (me not so much) 

I had a chance to throw the 9-11 1 piece the other day at the Bear's Den indoor casting area and it was an absolutely broomstick beast. It is designed for something very specific. It will NOT carry any sort of false cast at all, and the action is super fast and snappy. 

But If you are looking for a rod that you can easily pick up 40 - 50 feet of line and launch it all back out in one shot from a boat or jetty.

I would really like to try this rod out on water. So you can get that water resistance and load. I would imagine that something this fast could pull out sink tip line from depth and still offer power to push it all back out. 

one piece rods are totally impractical and make no sense...Doesn't mean I don't want one.  This rod sounds very cool, it might be the only saltwater short rod in production.

Edited by Cpalms

4 mins ago, Cpalms said:

one piece rods are totally impractical and make no sense...Doesn't mean I don't want one.  This rod sounds very cool, it might be the only saltwater only short rod in production.

I absolutely disagree. One piece rods may be impractical and make no sense for you though.

3 mins ago, DAQ said:

I absolutely disagree. One piece rods may be impractical and make no sense for you though.

It was a tongue in cheek comment dude, take it easy. :clown:

Edited by Cpalms