Stopsign32v

Do you guys ever use one reel for multiple rods?

Rate this topic

45 posts in this topic

Well I've got a 7'6 Teramar MH XF that I plan to use as a light surf/inlet setup and I also will be getting a 9' TFO surf rod for slinging similar lures. I was planning to get a 5000 series reel but was thinking about just using this one reel on each of these rods. Do any of you do that or is that not a good idea? 

7 mins ago, Stopsign32v said:

Well I've got a 7'6 Teramar MH XF that I plan to use as a light surf/inlet setup and I also will be getting a 9' TFO surf rod for slinging similar lures. I was planning to get a 5000 series reel but was thinking about just using this one reel on each of these rods. Do any of you do that or is that not a good idea? 

Nope, not me, and my book that's taboo.

The rigs mojo can become disoriented by swapping rods with the same reel.

2 mins ago, Heavy Hooksetter said:

Nope, not me, and my book that's taboo.

The rigs mojo can become disoriented by swapping rods with the same reel.

To not have a reel dedicated to a rod is blasphemy!

I have. But I eventually just picked up a second reel. I had a Slammer III that I used on my 10'6' Mojo Surf and also on a 7' heavy duty Star Stellar Light on my boat. 

Slammer 4500 shared between a 9'-6" Airwave elite, 8' ODM DNA and 7'-6" Carbon shield.  A little big for the shield but not a big deal.  Use 30 lb than 20 lb braid at end of season.  Respooling with 20 lb for this spring.

Van Staal VR with the 200 size spool and bail on my 12 foot SC avid for chunking.

Same reel with the 175 spool and bail less rotor for plugging on a 10'6 SC Legend.

Same reel with the 150 spool bail less on my 9 foot TFO when schoolies are around.

The VR is both versatile & lightweight.

Absolutely, especially between surf and boat rods. I wouldn't say I'm cheap, but why would I buy the same exact reel for two rods that I will never be using at the same time? I'll save the $200-$300 over the extra few minutes it takes me to switch the rod out and tie up a new rig.

I use an Abu 6500 on casting AND spinning rods. It also happens while dry land casting, as does several reels on a single rod.