vandeda

Recommendation: Reel with bail trigger

Rate this topic

12 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

I am looking for a recommendation for a reel with a bail trigger, like the one picture below. I am taking my dad fishing this coming summer for the first time since his stroke, but he only has use of 1 hand and 1 leg. Species could be bottom fish such as black sea bass, and pelagic fish such as bluefish & bonito. As such, a reel with a bail trigger would help him be autonomous, which is really uplifting for him. I know such reels are typically low end, but it will only be used a couple of times a year. And frankly, the reel below had lasted a decade of saltwater use and still works fine, but the line capacity is too low as it's only rated to 14 lb test line. Any recommendations for something larger with a bail trigger?

Thank you again!

20210114_150021-1.jpg

Edited by vandeda
Smaller picture

I'm sorry - I don't know of a decent reel with a bail trigger. (but I think I had one of those in the pic in my younger days...)

I wanted to commend you - very kind and thoughtful gesture, and I hope you and your Dad have a great time.

I think the hard part will him learning to cast left handed, but I foresee him trying & have some success since he's stubborn. It seems Shimano makes the Syncopate up to a 4000 and rates it to 160 yds of 12 lb mono, but 175 yds of 3o lb powerpro braid. I'm not sure what braid is like now, but when I used some about 10 years ago I hated it. How is working with braid these days?

Awesome, thanks guys. I think Shimano will be it, probably the synchopate. I'll just have to get some workable braid line. I was also thinking about a meaty T handle like below so he can have a solid grip on the rod/reel. Does that sound solid, or any suggestions for a different type of knob?

31iYSqJK4ML._AC_SY1000_.jpg

I just noticed the Daiwa reel pictured has higher line capacity than the Shimano reels in 4000 size. Maybe I should get the carbontex drag disc's I saw for sale on ebay and upgrade it.

Next question. Stick with the Daiwa since I know it works as it had been used for saltwater fishing for many years, or get the Shimano?

Posted (edited) · Report post

I've decided to stick with the Daiwa for now for 3 reasons:

1) it had been used for over 10 years of saltwater fishing and is surprisingly smooth given it was a low end reel. The ball bearings are still perfectly smooth.

2) It has higher line capacity than the Shimano

3) I already have it, so if it gets wrecked after trying to install the tbar handle or after a dozen uses ... that's ok. 

So, I'm going to see if the tbar handle works. There won't be a whole lot of meat left after drilling for a 6mm shaft, but I think they're may be just enough left to hold. We'll have to see since you could apply a lot of torque on a meaty tbar handle, so you could potentially wrench it off. However, if it works, I may then upgrade to the carbon drag discs and have the most baddass crap Daiwa reel from the 90s lol.

Edited by vandeda

One thing to note: that older reel might not play well with braid. I would personally load it with 8 pound Fireline Crystal and try it out before you bring your dad. A bunch of windknots wouldn't be a lot of fun for him.

6 mins ago, Kima said:

One thing to note: that older reel might not play well with braid. I would personally load it with 8 pound Fireline Crystal and try it out before you bring your dad. A bunch of windknots wouldn't be a lot of fun for him.

It actually has braid on it now. My biggest gripe was tying it, but you have a good point.  I'll load it up with 20 or 30 lb braid that I plan to use, and then test it prior to July whenever I take my boys freshwater fishing. 

It works. Enough material left after drilling that it should hold fine. Almost had a fatal mishap while drilling, but thankfully all worked out. Not the prettiest, but hey, it was a turd to begin with. Because it was less than a 10 dollar bill, I ordered carbon drag washers so the setup will work as sweet as practically possible for him :)

20210118_221910~2.jpg

Sorry to bore you all with another. Caron drag up next. I'm quite surprised they were actually available for this reel. A little Cal's drag grease and we'll be ready to go.

20210123_184933.jpg