BrianBM

Should Liz Cheney resign her leadership position?

Rate this topic

75 posts in this topic

4 mins ago, Gotcow? said:

Why should she?

I see Jim Jordan and a few others calling for her to go. Jordan says that none of the Republicans who voted to impeach should be allowed to hold a leadership position. I'm curious about sentiments on this Forum.

No she shouldn't and won't   She's one of the more principled Republicans - and there are now so few of them left.   Romney is another one.   The party will need them to rebuild back to a party of fiscal conservatism, conservative principles and values, and muscular foreign aid.  All of which have been cast aside in the last 10 or years in its naked ambition for power and greed, and descend to amoral insanity.

Why? Dems don’t give up leadership positions for agreeing with ridiculous politics! Of course Dems don’t demand they lose their leaderships for disagreeing either. They stay the course. 

This guys scuba gear he is so far up Trump's behind, not just a brown ring around the nose, if Jim Jordan thinks she should resign go through your own process in the PARTY and do it, he is grand standing like all POLS, 

She has to run for office in two years. I don't know whether she has to run for a leadership post at the same time. The results will say a lot about the near term future of the Republican Party.

Posted (edited) · Report post

No way.  She should stay in that position as she earned it.  I have no problem with the way she voted.

Since when has America started punishing people for how they vote and who they support?  Oh yeah, I remember 2016.  Thanks democrats.

Rubes.

Edited by Shipwreck

21 mins ago, BrianBM said:

She has to run for office in two years. I don't know whether she has to run for a leadership post at the same time. The results will say a lot about the near term future of the Republican Party.

She's done as are the rest who voted her way.  Times they are a changing.  Now that Trump is gone the Reps need to rebuild.  Without Trump to distract the Dims their Tribes will eat their own. 

I don't find her to be impressive at all.  What has she ever done?

Disagree with the likes of Graham (sick of him), Paul, Jordan, Nunes all you want, but at least they "try" to get things done.

Cheney, Romney, Collins, Murkowsky, etc, I never see them ever get anything done, and the only time they ever seem to matter at all is when they're saying or doing something that hurts the party.

So **** them.

Posted (edited) · Report post

2 hours ago, Quonnie said:

This guys scuba gear he is so far up Trump's behind, not just a brown ring around the nose, if Jim Jordan thinks she should resign go through your own process in the PARTY and do it, he is grand standing like all POLS, 

Everyone wants a shot at the nomination for President in 2024. Some will stay with Trump unto death, like Jordan; some will not. If a primary were held tomorrow, I think Jordan would win, and take Cheney's slot if he could run against her for it (he's prominent, but does he hold a GOP leadership position as such?).  In two years, who knows? 

Whatever happens in the impeachment, once President Trump leaves office, he is NOT going to concede that this election was honestly run. He'll continue to blame illegal voters, undoubtedly Latino, for not winning the popular vote in 2016. He will never, never, ever take any personal responsibility for the Capitol riot, or anything else. It's always going to be somebody else's fault, and he's going to keep talking. A more prudent politician might shut up and try to tiptoe away, but not DJT. At the same time, post-Presidential Trump will have an endless sea of tell-all memoirs to read, as all his enablers and former intimates seek to cash in. He will have an ocean of legal troubles with which to contend, in multiple forums and states. His business affairs, past and present, will lose the smoke with which he's managed to cloak them. 

Rudy Giuliani will have - is having now, it appears - as bitter a falling-out with President Trump as Cohen did. Rudy might be subject to criminal charges for some of his antics, exactly as are some of his Ukrainian associates already are. If that happens, if Trump blames him for some of the things he's done, Rudy will be entitled to defend himself by quoting Presidential instructions. Like Cohen, he may have had the good common sense to keep a record. (I suspect he hasn't, he seems pretty far gone from the mob prosecutor and America's Mayor that he once was.) Even without a good record, he often met with the President in the company of third persons, many of whom will turn out to be memo writers. It's quite possible that if these things are pursued,  President Trump will be accused of crimes that have never been hinted at, here or elsewhere. 

I can see a further, self-destructive way in which Citizen Trump might seek to vindicate his hurt feelings. He's complained endlessly and to the joy of his base here and elsewhere, about Fake News. Why not sue the Fake News outlets? The NYT, the WaPo, CNN, every media outlet that has ever said a critical word. Why not sue FaceBook, Twitter, and ... everybody? No lawyer in his right mind would advise that he take such a course. So what? He's been very happy with lawyers who seem out of their minds. Why not retain Sidney and Ms. Ellis and good 'ol Rudy to sue them all, starting with the fake NYT and the fake WaPo? They would love, love a chance to do discovery. The possibilities are mind-boggling. I can see Mike Pence, at a deposition, describing having to hide in a Capitol basement, while Trump was denouncing him via Tweet. How did you feel, Mr. Pence? And so on ...

Edited by BrianBM

2 hours ago, GeoffT said:

No she shouldn't and won't   She's one of the more principled Republicans - and there are now so few of them left.   Romney is another one.   The party will need them to rebuild back to a party of fiscal conservatism, conservative principles and values, and muscular foreign aid.  All of which have been cast aside in the last 10 or years in its naked ambition for power and greed, and descend to amoral insanity.

Mitt Romney, who's Health Care plan as Governor of Massachusetts was the model for ObamaCare, is going to rebuild back to a party of conservative principles and values? First he would have to show he has some. I agree the Republican party desperately needs to get back to them, but if they need Romney to do that it ain't gonna happen.