CLFish5

Surf Reel Suggestion

Rate this topic

54 posts in this topic

Hey guys,

Did some test casting with a new set up this morning and I must say I do not like the VS 200 at all. It seems heavy and not smooth. I don’t swim ever and I just feel like I don’t really need this kind of reel. 

I’m looking for suggestions for a new reel. Does anyone fish a Stella or Saltiga in the surf successfully? Can it take a splash here and there? Saragossa? Any other suggestions?

Reel will be paired with ODM Frontier X 10’6 3/4-4 and will be used to fish open  on SS of LI

I have Saragossa 6000.  Been using it for past 2 years.  Use it on 10 ft Lamiglass, never had issue, want to get new 5000 model but no one has it in stock here in NJ.

8 mins ago, CLFish5 said:

I’m looking for suggestions for a new reel. Does anyone fish a Stella or Saltiga in the surf successfully? Can it take a splash here and there? Saragossa? Any other suggestions?

Saragossa is great reel for the price, Saltiga is amazing reel, have had mine for 5 years and never been to shop yet, still spins perfectly.  I always rinse after outing. It’s all about the budget, what you can afford. I have few older Daiwa Catalinas bought used online for great price from Japan that are also crazy good reels. 

7 mins ago, mets41 said:

I have Saragossa 6000.  Been using it for past 2 years.  Use it on 10 ft Lamiglass, never had issue, want to get new 5000 model but no one has it in stock here in NJ.

I also fished a Saragossa 6000 on a 10' Lami GSB last year, and it worked out well.

Very impressed with the reel. 

Good luck, Lami

Just because they're all expensive doesnt mean they're great alternatives, this is coming from a guy who really enjoys nice gear.  A stella/saltiga are going to be buttery smooth, but if you get sand in them you're probably not going to be happy about it.  I'm sure there are people who use them in the surf but the benefits with the added cost just aren't necessary in the northeast surf.  VS is expensive because they're essentially a bulletproof surf reel, not because theyre a joy to turn the handle.  For the surf I would just stick with a saragossa or something of that level if I wasnt going to be putting it under water.  Stellas are designed with things like bluefin tuna in mind, where you need the reel to perform smoothly and flawlessly for hour long fights, nothing like is needed for striped bass/bluefish.  The only exception I could think of is fishing very heavy current, and by very heavy current I mean several knots.

The Saragosa might indeed be the best choice but they’re hard to find right now. Also don’t overlook the current Penn Slammer III, an outstanding reel for the South Shore- check out Zeno’s review on SJ.

The thing about shimanos are their million parts.  My only experience with them in the surf was over a decade ago was with a stradic and i roached it with 4 months.  i did replace the parts but the reel was never the same. I suspect a cascading effect.
...one part is worn...the whole system gets out of whack and the need to replace more parts is required.

I like reels with fewer parts like vs.

They arent as smooth as a shimano or other more land based reel, but they are more reliable in the surf zone and are dyi friendly.

4 hours ago, Lamiglasmike said:

I also fished a Saragossa 6000 on a 10' Lami GSB last year, and it worked out well.

Very impressed with the reel. 

Good luck, Lami

My exact setup lol. It feels a little funny fighting fish but nicely balanced

Posted (edited) · Report post

26 mins ago, Water Dog said:

And which 10’ GSB were you guys using?

The 10' 1 to 3oz, GSB 10LS, the 1202L blank

Also, mine is the two piece rod, easier to keep in the truck or car, when I'm not suppose to be fishing...

Edited by Lamiglasmike
spelling

5 hours ago, zpicker said:

Saragossa is great reel for the price, Saltiga is amazing reel, have had mine for 5 years and never been to shop yet, still spins perfectly.  I always rinse after outing. It’s all about the budget, what you can afford. I have few older Daiwa Catalinas bought used online for great price from Japan that are also crazy good reels. 

As long as the Catalina is around it's hard to justify a Saltiga for any surf casting in the NE. Same benefits, lower price tag. I love mine, and it's a dream to fish.

If you don't have experience with Mag seal that would be the hardest part to service, otherwise it's no harder than a BG.

Posted (edited) · Report post

5 hours ago, CLFish5 said:

Hey guys,

Did some test casting with a new set up this morning and I must say I do not like the VS 200 at all. It seems heavy and not smooth. I don’t swim ever and I just feel like I don’t really need this kind of reel. 

Reel will be paired with ODM Frontier X 10’6 3/4-4 and will be used to fish open  on SS of LI

If you really want a no frills, hard nosed workhorse of a "surf" reel that can take splashes and dunks (no reeling or swimming underwater)....then my suggestion is the Penn SLammer III.  I have two on my 10' and 10'6" rods and i can't say anything bad abou tthem at all.  Four years now and basic maintenance with freshwater rinses and i've had ZERO problems.  May not be the most glamorous, expensive toy out there... but when you're hitting the beach and right in the thick of things, this reel gets it done at only 14+ oz.!!  :th:

Edited by yogiiiboy

6 mins ago, Lamiglasmike said:

The 10' 1 to 3oz, GSB 10LS, the 1202L blank

Also, mine is the two piece rod, easier to keep in the truck or car, when I'm not suppose to be fishing...

Nice...  I was looking at that GSB 10LS specifically or the 1202L blank with 6” off the  butt and wasn’t sure how the Gosa 6K would pair up.