peanutbunkerandjelly

I've gone N/A

Rate this topic

22 posts in this topic

Havent been liking the way alcohol makes me feel. I considered quitting, but I love the taste of beer. So, I switched to N/A. So far I've been perfectly happy with A generic one a night while cooking. Dont miss the alchohol aspect at all. I ordered and received some n/a ipa and stout. I never knew it, but theres some micro breweries making what are supposed to be very good "beers" and they show up right at your door with free shipping! Those will be my friday/saturday treat. I'm not giving up alchohol all together, I just want it to be a special occasion or truly social event to drink.

Good for you, if you enjoy the taste and it satisfies your craving for beer ! 

I've been drinking less and less beer lately and believe it is because of the carbonation,  don't drink soda or sparkling water either for the same reason. 

2 hours ago, peanutbunkerandjelly said:

Havent been liking the way alcohol makes me feel. I considered quitting, but I love the taste of beer. So, I switched to N/A. So far I've been perfectly happy with A generic one a night while cooking. Dont miss the alchohol aspect at all. I ordered and received some n/a ipa and stout. I never knew it, but theres some micro breweries making what are supposed to be very good "beers" and they show up right at your door with free shipping! Those will be my friday/saturday treat. I'm not giving up alchohol all together, I just want it to be a special occasion or truly social event to drink.

I commend you for not falling into the general "trap" most recreational drinkers do when they decide to try and change their habit a little. I've heard the typical "I don't like the taste of N/A beer" from too many people who won't give up the alcohol and won't admit that they are reliant on it.

My father was an alcoholic for years, and it didn't take a lot for his personality to change from happy to mean.

He had an accident (hit by a college student/foreign diplomat's son) while crossing the street from his work to the travel agent he was using for his vacation the next week. Shattered ankle, steel plates and months or recovery, and he re-evaluated his drinking and figured it was the taste he enjoyed and switched to a N/A beer.

He literally changed back into the dad we knew when he wasn't drinking, and it was all the time.

Sorry for the long tale, but it can be helpful as a re-enforcement for anyone wanting to make a change for the better.

(I understand that this is not a "going cold turkey" or "I will never touch a drop again" moment, but rather an attempt to make a change. All anyone can say is "Good luck" and regardless of how long it lasts, it's the effort that counts.

4 hours ago, peanutbunkerandjelly said:

Clausthaler is the best I've had. Many stores carry it. 

Just be sure its in date. It goes down hill fast when expired. 

It is made differently than other NA's. Some proprietary/patented process. 

Its pricier than most. 

I don’t drink much beer anymore. Switched to whiskey a few years back. I just got tired of peeing every twenty minutes. There was definitely a learning curve on how much whiskey to intake as opposed to beer.

Still love a beer with certain foods though. 

Also  trying to cut back on the alcohol in general.  

1 min ago, Lucky said:

My 7 year old loves the Heineken zero's 

I did try them, not bad but as I said earlier I think it's the carbonation I dislike. I find myself having a Whiskey or Bourbon on the rocks, a Guinness or other Stout  if I want a beer.

I'm not sure if they make a good non alcoholic stout. I'm an IPA guy but I usually keep Amstel Lights or Heineken's in the fridge for after working in the yard. 

If you can find it, Lagunitas makes something called HOP water.   It's a hopped up sparkling water that is really good and does not have the "off taste" of N/A beers.  

A-four-pack-of-the-new-Lagunitas-Hop-Hoppy-Refresher..jpeg

19 hours ago, PCstriper said:

Good for you, if you enjoy the taste and it satisfies your craving for beer ! 

I've been drinking less and less beer lately and believe it is because of the carbonation,  don't drink soda or sparkling water either for the same reason. 

I pour into a glass,that helps.

2 hours ago, Lucky said:

My 7 year old loves the Heineken zero's 

I tried them ,they tasted like plastic..

A lot of the BIG beer drinkers I know that have been pounding them every night for years are quitting for one health issue or another.